My friend Sarah shared this healthy, yet tasty, recipe with me. Congee is a rice porridge that can be enjoyed for any meal or makes a great side dish.
- 1 c cooked rice
- 5 c filtered water
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 t grated fresh ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
Throw ingredients into the slow cooker on low for a couple hours- rice texture will turn into into a thicker white stew texture- adding more water to get desired thickness.
You can also add extras for the last 10 minutes – you can use anything you want. I used:
- 1 cup minced kale
- 2 stalks of scallion
- 1 medium grated carrot
2 marinated filets of wild salmon Roasted in parchment paper packets
- Ginger- grated about 1 t
- Garlic- minced 2 cloves
- 1 white part only scallion
- Splash of sesame oil
- Splash of ume pear vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste (it’s kind of salty so be careful)
- 1 T miso paste
- 1 t sucanat sprinkled over fish right before roasting
- Marinated for about 3 hours then baked in convection @ 350 for 10 min or until it flakes easily.
Serve the marinate over congee, or serve alongside