Pokémon has only been seen in anime, manga and video games. What would a world look like if these creatures actually coexisted with humans in real life? The live-action Pokémon: Detective Pikachu film gives us a glimpse of what that world would look like and I really like it.
There are hundreds of Pokémon characters, but which ones would be making appearances in the movie. Don’t expect to see too many sea-related Pokémon since the movie takes place on land. But here are the Pokémon you can expect to see featured and make cameos in the film.
Of course, there is a Pikachu in the film. It is called Detective Pikachu after all. This electric mouse type has lost its memory and assists Tim in the search for Tim’s father and partner.
Cubone is the first Pokémon we see when the film begins. This lonely Pokémon looks like a small dinosaur that wears the skull of its mother on its head. It carries a bone club that it uses as a weapon.
Psyduck is a water type Pokémon that is known as the Duck Pokémon due to its duck-like appearance. In the movie, it is the partner of a journalist, Lucy Stevens. It tries to always stay calm or it will develop a massive headache. Once the headache becomes too strong, it releases the tension in the form of a very strong psychic powered attack.
Snubbull is a fairy type Pokémon that has the appearance of a pink bulldog. In the movie, it is the partner of Detective Yoshida. Its fierce and aggressive demeanor hides its true personality, which is that Snubbull is really a playful and affectionate Pokémon.
Mr. Mime is a humanoid pokemon that has a pale pink head with blue protruding extensions on its head resembling clown hair, has a round white body with magenta spheres at the shoulders and hips. It has oversized white gloves hands and black feet that curl at the tips. It has the ability to harden the air to create invisible objects.
Lickitung is seen on the train to Ryme City giving Tim a nice wet lick. This Pokémon has a round, soft, pink skinned body, with stubby arms and legs, with a thick powerful tail. But its power lies in its long prehensile tongue.
A group of Aipom attack Tim. These Pokémon have the appearance of a purple monkey with a long prehensile tail. At the end of the tail is an appendage that looks like a three-fingered hand. Furry electric bug, Joltik is seen nearby them running across wires.
Mewtwo is a strong Pokémon that was genetically created from the DNA of the ancient Pokémon Mew. Mewtwo possesses psychic, levitation, telepathy and mind control powers.
I used to think the Ditto versions of the Pokémon that it transforms into were kind of cute, but that was before the movie. Those eyes are just creepy. Ditto are gelatinous blobs with a simple mouth and beady little eyes. It can transform into an exact replica of any object, except they retain the beady eyes.
Charizard is flame Pokémon that looks like a huge flying dragon with a flame at the tip of the tail. Charizard’s partner is Sebastian and fights Pikachu in a rematch battle in the underground arena. Its main power is its fiery breath. It is the final form of Charmander.
Within the underground fighting arena, you will see not only a fight between Charizard and Pikachu but a battle between Gengar and Blastoise. Gengar is a shadow Pokémon that has a roundish, purple body with short arms and legs, a huge grin and red eyes. It is the final form of Ghastly. Blastoise is a water type Pokémon that has a huge turtle shell body with a water cannon on each shoulder. It is the final form of Squirtle. Other Pokémon that appear in the arena:
– Magikarp is a fish Pokémon that resembles a large orange carp. It has a huge splashing power but mostly flops around in battle. Can be seen in a fish tank below the DJ stage in the arena.
– Gyarados is a serpentine Pokémon which is the evolved form of Magikarp. It has been known to evolve into this form when kicked. It has a long serpent body, covered in blue overlapping scales, a large mouth, known to have a fierce temper and destructive demeanor.
– Loudred is a Pokémon with a very big voice. It is purple, has a huge mouth that resembles a hippo, two circular ears that look like speakers and has the ability to shout at high volumes. The DJ uses them as speakers in the arena.
– Rufflet, Togepi, Squirtle, Totodile can be seen in the crowd watching the fight.
The Greninja and Torterra are seen at a facility outside of Ryme City. Greninja is frog ninja Pokémon. They mostly resemble dark blue frogs with yellow chest, it’s mouth is hidden behind its large tongue scarf which wraps around its neck. Greninja is the final form of Froakie. It attacks with compressed water throwing stars. Torterra resembles tortoises with huge shells. The shells on their backs have stony mountain-like extensions, with patches of brown soil-like shapes and an oak-like tree. It is the final form of Turtwig.
A group of Bulbasaur can be seen leading Tim down a stream as small mushroom-shaped Morelull float alongside them.
In the Hi-Hat Cafe, we find a few Pokémon here as well.
– Ludicolo is seen serving coffee to customers here. It has a duckbill with a green growth on its head that resembles a sombrero. Lodicolo is the final form of Lotad.
– Jigglypuff is seen singing atop a table. It is pink and spherical in shape, two large round eyes, a curled tuft of fur on its head, stubby arms, and long feet. It likes to sing and will get upset if anyone falls asleep, by scribbling on their face.
Within Ryme City there are a bunch of Pokémon seen working alongside humans. The ones I could identify are:
– Four-armed Machamp directing traffic on the street.
– Large furry Snorlax slumbering on the street.
– Growlithe and Arcanine alongside police officers.
– Squirtle assisting firefighters to put out fires.
– Armored Golurk in front of the police station.
– Octillery are cooking and preparing food in the night market area, while Emolga hang out above.
– Flying through the skyline of Ryme City are Braviary, Pideot, Pidgeotto, Fearow and Flabébé.
– Panda looking Pancham and Pangoro hanging around the bamboo.
– Sneasel, Doduo, Dotrio, Purrloin, Treecko, Rattata, Kingler, Charmander, Venusaur, Slaking are walking through the street.
– An Audino can be seen at the parade.
In an office seen there is an Eevee that evolves into a Flareon. The only legendary Pokémon that are seen in the movie are Dialga, Arceus and Palkia in statue form. Later in the same office, a Bouffalant can be seen rampaging throughout the room.
Keep an eye out for Pokémon that appear in the signage and posters throughout the city and in rooms. See how many more are represented in that form.
I did enjoy seeing what the world of Pokémon would look like in real life. The only thing is that there seem to be a lot of the same types in large groups throughout different scenes, like Sneasel. There were a bunch of them around. I would have loved to see a Vulpix in the movie though.