How about a tasty, simple summer salad? This apricot, arugula and pistachio salad is delicious and really hits the spot!
Did you know apricots are in season at the beginning of the summer? They have a ton of health benefits and are packed with nutrients. Plus they are excellent in promoting eye care. Arugula is also a superfood and I read it is high in cancer-fighting agents. It’s also low in carbs and sugar and is packed with calcium and iron. Add pistachios for a punch of flavor and a good source of healthy fats (in moderation).
I love everything about this salad!
- 4 cups arugula, washed and spun dry
- 1/4 cup pistachios, lightly toasted and chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (pomegranate vinegar is another options)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces of your favorite crumbling cheese, I added Queso Fresco
- 6 ripe apricots
Heat a pan over a burner, or preheat an indoor grill.
Combine your arugula and half the pistachios in a large bowl.
Whisk together vinegars, salt and pepper, and 3 tablespoons of the olive oil.
Cut 3 of your apricots in half and remove their pits. Brush the cut side with remaining olive oil.
Grill for about 2 minutes on the cut side. Remove from the heat.
Toss together your arugula mixture, dressing and the rest of the apricots.
Arrange the remaining apricots, cheese and remaining pistachios over the top of the arugula, and serve.
Looking for another recipe using apricots: