I was excited to test out Jawbone UP, a wristband that tracks your activity. I wanted to see “me at a glance”. I have to admit that I’ve become less active since I became a stay at home/work out of home mom the past two years. Being in the office created more chances to get up and interact with coworkers, head out for lunch and just move. Don’t get me wrong, I can get up do the laundry, the dishes and pick up my daughter but it’s really easy to sit in front of the computer and work and work and work. My goal for the Jawbone UP was to track my daily activity level. I wanted to know my calorie intake (I tend to snack more from home), gain insight regarding my sleep activity (although being a mom and blogger means erratic sleep patterns) plus count my steps. My long term goal is to get healthy. Is the UP a tool that will help me achieve that?
What it does:
- UP is a system that takes a holistic approach to a healthy lifestyle.
- The wristband tracks your movement and sleep in the background.
- The app displays your data, lets you add things like meals and mood and also delivers insight that keeps you moving forward.
Sizing / Setup:
Jawbone UP is available in three different sizes and eight different colors. I used the sizing chart on the http://jawbone.com/up. My wrist size fell right in the middle of small and medium. I ordered a medium (6-7 in) as I was afraid that the small would be too snug. Unfortunately the medium is a bit loose but he looseness doesn’t seem to effect the tracking. Everything about this product is easy. I downloaded the iPhone app (also available for Android), attached my iPhone to the wristband via the Synch plug, then followed the setup directions. I discovered that the battery wasn’t charged or maybe it lost it’s charge during shipping. A USB cord comes with the wristband which makes it easy to charge from your computer or wall charger. The charge lasts for up to 10 days (wish my smartphone charge lasted that long!). My Jawbone UP and I were ready to go.
- I love that the device looks like a bracelet. It’s discreet! Only other Jawbone users will know what I’m up to!
- It’s sweat-proof & water resistant. Yep, you can wear it in the shower! Just don’t go snorkeling with it.
- I challenged myself to take more steps.
- I like the food feature. I felt guilty adding some of the snack foods so I decided not to eat it.
- You can set reminders to help you move! I love this. Sitting down too long? The vibration motor will remind you to get up and go!
- It let’s you take power NAPS! It wakes you UP around 26.5 minutes which is the optimal time for a power nap.
- Do your friends have the Jawbone UP? Create a team and compare how you are doing compared to them (great feature if you are competitive).
- It’s easy to use.
- I kept forgetting to turn on to sleep mode. You can manually insert the time you slept but you do not get details of your sleep (deep sleep).
- You have to plug it in to see results. Sometimes I just wanted to see the results now! You know how instant gratification goes…I have to get better at being patient.
- Setting reminders to move means that it will vibrate while you are driving.
I definitely recommend this tracking device! My experience has been great. I’ve used other tracking devices and the Jawbone UP is my favorite! It’s super easy to use and lightweight. You don’t have to clip it to anything and the likelihood of misplacing it is slim since you can wear it 24/7. However, I have misplaced the cap to the sync plug a few times. Thankfully it’s always turned up. So far it’s done it’s job. I plug in a few times a day to check my progress. The vibration alerts really come in handy. I usually take the dogs out to get them moving too! Does the UP wristband help me achieve a healthier lifestyle? IT definitely got me thinking about it! I’m making a conscious effort to get UP and move forward!
“Live Better. Start Now. Jawbone UP. Track your sleep activity, steps, calorie intake and more with the Jawbone UP wrist sensor and free mobile app. UP gives you meaningful, personalized insights so you can make lasting improvements to your everyday life.”
Jawbone UP is available at Best Buy!
– That’s IT Mom Tee
* I was compensated in the form of a Best Buy Gift Card and/or received the product/service at a reduced price or for free!