Don’t let a rainy day get you down, especially when you’re at the happiest place on earth – Disneyland.
Weather was always part of the adventure on our family trips to Disney World when I was growing up. I have memories of heavy rains pounding on my poncho as my family ran from ride to ride in Fantasyland. We even braved tropical storms, but the rain always relented as we played on for the day with our trusty ponchos at hand.
On a recent visit to Disneyland, it rained cats and dogs (or maybe mice in this case.) My daughter and I planned for rain, and we were ready for our adventure. Honestly, Disneyland is fun, rain or shine. Here are some activities that made our rainy day trip to the Park memorable.
What do to on a Rainy Day at Disneyland
- Pictures! I love taking pictures at Disneyland when it’s raining. Believe it or not the rain adds a nice, slick texture to the grounds which looks beautiful! Definitely, take a photo in front of the castle with your ponchos on! Memorable moments!
- Hidden Mickey’s- how many can you find? Make a game of it. They are everywhere. There’s even a book, The Hidden Mickeys of Disneyland, filled with hidden Mickey’s. This is a must-have for any Disney fan. Make sure to bring it along on your next trip to Disneyland for a scavenger hunt.
- Make a reservation at a “new to you” Disneyland restaurant! I’ve always been excited to eat at the Blue Bayou, so I was psyched to find an opening when I check online the morning of our trip. Our lunch date got us out of the rain for a spell, and I had my first Monte Cristo sandwich. Check that off my Disneyland bucket list!
- Hot cocoa or coffee breaks. Visit Starbucks in either park for a warm beverage.
- Salt water taffy and vintage games? Yes, please! On sunny days, we never tend to head inside. But the rain is a great opportunity to visit the Penny Arcade on Main Street. Don’t forget to bring your pennies!
- Head on over to the Main Street cinema for classic Mickey cartoon.
- Puddle jump – just be mindful of other guests. My daughter loves this!
- Stop for a warm bread bowl at the Pacific Wharf Cafe located on Pacific Wharf in California Adventure.
- The majority of the Fantasyland rides are indoors. Stay dry on Peter Pan! It took us a considerable amount of time to walk through Sleeping Beauty’s Castle too. On our soggy day, we did get to on the Dumbo ride, but some of the outdoor rides eventually closed down due to weather.
- The Animation Academy over at California Adventure is a favorite of ours, rain or shine. We spent a good amount of time drawing Winnie the Pooh and Piglet. It’s free, and we get a keepsake to take home. I like scanning in the images, reducing the images down, printing and framing the images.
- The stores on Main Street are connected, which makes waking through fun. I’ve been known to avoid pedestrian traffic, by cutting through them on sunny days! Browse through the cool merchandise from store to store and make sure to stop by the candy store to see some sweet treats.
- Meet the Fantasy Faire Princesses! The actresses do a wonderful job interacting with guests.
- Disney Jr. Live is a fun place to show off your moves. Located in California Adventure, there are a few shows throughout the day so check out schedule at the entrance.
- Star Wars launch bay! We met Thor for the first time! And of course, Chewie and now Kylo Ren are waiting to greet you! Play video games, check out the exhibit. Definitely a fun place to dry off.
- Hyperspace Mountain – the waiting area and the ride are totally indoors!
- Don’t be late for a very important date. Schedule Afternoon Tea at the Steakhouse 55 at Disneyland Hotel. Tea time is a fun activity for moms and daughters, or anyone who loves a tea party and definitely a fun time out of the rain.
- Grab a Dole Whip (line is outdoors) and head to the Tiki Room. You’ll be dry for a good 15 minutes!
- Visit the Disneyland Fire Station on Main Street and stop for a photo!
- I have to admit that I usually skip The Disneyland Story presenting Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln because I’m eager to get to the other attractions but the animatronics have an old school feel and it is educational AND it’s indoors.
- Starting May 27th the New Stage Musical ‘Frozen – Live at the Hyperion’ will perform daily at Disney California Adventure Park!! Get ready to belt out Let It Go from a comfy seat indoors.
TIPS: Definitely bring or buy ponchos or a rain jacket, umbrellas although it can get crowded and I’ve been bonked in the head by umbrellas and a waterproof bag or your phone. Zip lock backs to keep your stuff dry. My feet did get wet, so definitely wear waterproof shoes or rainboots (unlike the
canvas TOMS I wore which were soaked!) And a cover for those strollers. Rent a lockers for storage! I also brought a towel and change of socks for my daughter.
With a good attitude and the right gear, Disneyland is an adventure in every kind of weather! Plus the park gets less crowded, since some less hearty locals would rather visit on an another sunnier day. We’ve managed to jump on rides over and over, as long as weather permits!
* Thanks to Disneyland for hosting our visit and for our rainy day gear!