I’ve pieced this recipe together using several that I’ve found online. It makes a huge pot of soup…like, invite the neighbors over HUGE pot of soup. It’s great with shredded Parmesan cheese on top and some warm Italian bread or rolls on the side. Makes excellent leftovers too (although it does firm up a bit and isn’t as “soupy”). Makes at least 13-14 cups of soup.
- 1 – 1.5 pounds lean ground beef (or turkey)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 4 stalks celery, chopped (or about 1 cup total)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can red kidney beans (with liquid)
- 1 (15 oz) can Great Northern beans (with liquid)
- 1 (12 oz) can V8 original juice
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 oz) can beef broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 pound small pasta (ditali or elbows work great)
Brown meat in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add in onion, carrot, celery, and garlic and saute for 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients (except pasta) and simmer for about 40 minutes. Check for taste and add seasonings if desired. After the 40 minutes of simmering, bring pasta up to a boil and add in pasta. Cook for about 10 minutes or until pasta is done. Enjoy!
I have always looked for a good recipe for pasta e fagioli — thank you! I’m going to try this tonight!!
This sounds great! I’ll make it on one of those upcoming reall old days! thanks you1
This sounds so much better than the recipe I just tried for pasta e fagioli
Looks good! I’m going to have to make that!