I started running in college. It was the first time in my life that I did it for fun rather than for PE. It was also the first time I realized that I enjoyed it. Over the past decade or so, it has become something I enjoy doing. I love the feeling of accomplishment after a good run. I love how every time I get out there, I can run further, faster, or longer than the time before. I love how I can just zone out, listen to my music or my thoughts, and just….go. It was a great way for me to relieve stress and as an added bonus, it helped keep my weight in check.
And then I had kids. Free time became scarce and exercise took a backseat. Unfortunately, my weight crept up slowly but surely and left me unhappy and out of shape. I decided to do something about it, so I turned to my old standby. I decided to start running again. Since I was basically starting from scratch, I looked around for a program to help ease me into it again. And I found an awesome one in the form of an app for my iPod Touch!
Run 5K by Lucius Kwok and Kasten Searles for Felt Tip, Inc. is an eight week, three day a week program. It slowly eases you into running using interval training. Each workout begins with a 5 minute warm-up walk, followed by alternating periods of running and walking. As you progress through the workouts, there is less walking and more running. By the last week, you will be running 30 minutes straight.
The best part about this app, in my opinion, is that it allows you to access your playlists. You can listen to your favorite music (or podcast) while exercising and receive cues along the way to tell you when to walk or run. The screen is great, showing you which day and week you are on, a run-down of the workout, and time counters. At the end of a workout, you can check it off the list and you have the option of sharing your progress on Twitter or Facebook. There is also a screen for good stretches to incorporate into your workout.
I found this app last year and completed it. Within the eight week period, I went from being a total couch potato to running 3 miles at a time. It was challenging, but worth every minute! I thoroughly enjoyed it and the sense of accomplishment I got from running. Along the way, I also lost 10 pounds and was excited to register for my first 5K.
Then I hurt my back and was forced into two months with no exercise. Running was completely out of the question – I could barely walk. By the time my back was better and I had the okay to start exercising again, I had lost my motivation. I tried to start running again at least 10 times, but just couldn’t stick with it. I gained back the weight I had lost (and then some…) and was back to being unhappy and out of shape.
I let that go on for way too long. So, in the spirit of New Year’s resolutions, I have decided to start running again. I broke out my iPod Touch and “dusted off” my favorite app. I just started this week…and I feel good. I feel like my old self. I’m excited to become a runner again and I know that this program will once again help me get there.
For any of you out there who are looking to start a running program, I highly recommend the Run 5K app. I think you’ll enjoy it!
GIVEAWAY: One (1) That’s IT Mommy reader will receive a promo code to use on iTunes to purchase the Run 5K app. This giveaway is open to US residents only (18+). Ends 1/17/12.
REQUIRED MAIN ENTRY: To enter, visit Felt Tip, Inc.’s Run 5K page and tell us why you would like to try this app. Leave your comment in the reply box below this post. That’s IT!
Remember if this REQUIRED ENTRY is not followed then no other entries will count.
Optional Bonus Entries – All entries MUST BE in a separate comment. All are worth 1 point unless otherwise noted.
- Like Run 5K app on Facebook
- Follow Run 5K app on Twitter
- Subscribe to our e-newsletter (or tell us that you already do)
- “Like” us on Facebook (let us know who you are)
- Follow us on Twitter (leave us your twitter ID)
- Grab our button on the right sidebar and post on your website (leave the link) (3 extra – 3 comments #1, #2, #3)
- Follow us on Networked Blogs
- Follow us on GFC (sidebar)
- Enter another one of our current giveaways (3 extra – 3 separate comments #1, #2, #3) Feel free to enter any of our giveaways that interest you, but you will receive a maximum of three extra entries only, no matter how many of our other giveaways you enter
- Leave a comment on any non giveaway post and let us know you did (2 extra – 2 separate comments #1, #2)
*This giveaway will run through midnight on 1/17/12 (PST). Winner will be chosen using Random.org from all valid entries and notified via email. Winner will have 48 hours to contact us before another winner is chosen. Giveaway is open to U.S. (18+) residents only.
* We did not receive monetary compensation for this review. That’s IT Mommy received this app free of charge from Run 5K to facilitate this review. Giveaway item will be provided by sponsor. Sponsor has the right to refuse filling prize for duplicate winners from other blogs. This will in no way sway our opinion of the product or service. The review is in our own words and is our opinion. Your results and opinions may differ.