The pressure to transition your baby from bottle feeding or nursing to a cup can be difficult and expensive. There are many choices in the marketplace, and the folks at Philips Avent have put lots of thought into helping parents with this all important milestone.
Philips Avent offers a series of toddler cups with a full range of features – straws, spouts and training cups. In my experience, since you are trying to take away a bottle nipple that babies find so comforting you need to let them take the lead and figure out what works for them.
The Avent Spout Cup is made of BPA free materials, is easy to clean and dishwasher safe. Priced at $8.99, the Spout cup is available in pink, blue and green. Key features include:
- Non spill spout with patented valve
- Snap-top lid keeps spout clean
- Easy-sip; Fast flow and bite resistant spout
- A measurement scale on the cup
My thoughts: I like how the lidded spot cover is attached to the cup making it easier to track and keep it clean. The measurement scale is also really useful as I track the amounts my 12 month old is drinking as we make the move away from solely nursing. Other cups were making it necessary for me transfer liquids from a measuring cup to get a truly accurate number for how much he was consuming. There are 5 pieces to this cup to take apart to clean and the spout piece would require a small brush to truly scour any dried milk or food. The spout is made of a harder plastic material which seems like it would be more difficult for kids to chew through compared to the softer versions. Recommended for children ages 12 months +. My 13 month old son figured it out. Although the cup is pretty intuitive as far as taking apart and building back up for seasoned parents, in my experience visiting babysitters and grandparents always do seem to forget that all important small filter piece that makes the cups truly leak proof. This hasn’t been tested in our household yet but does seem possible on this model. Reminders will need to be posted for those parties
The Avent Toddler Drinking Cup is also made of BPA free materials and dishwasher safe. Priced at $6.99, the drinking cup comes in shades of red and green. Key features include:
- Drinking from all around the rim, just like an adult cup
- -poutless and strawless drinking
- Unique spill proof valve; Lip activated valve encourages grown up drinking
- Protective hygiene lid always keeps the cup clean
My thoughts: Also recommended for 12 months+, this one is going to take a little more practice for my guy. He easily grips the side handles but is still surprised that he doesn’t need to sip in the same manner as every other cup he has used so far. To clean I did need to pop apart six individual pieces. They are all easy to clean without any special tools or brushes, but it did take up some serious space on my drying rack.
That’s IT Mommy Jill
* We did not receive monetary compensation for this review. Jill received the cups from Avent free of charge to facilitate this review. Giveaway item will be provided by sponsor. Sponsor has the right to refuse filling prize for duplicate winners from other blogs. This will in no way sway our opinion of the product or service. The review is in our own words and is our opinion. Your results and opinions may differ.