Mother’s Day is almost here, and what could be better than chilling out, and watching your favorite movies that remind you of your mom? Growing up, my mother was a huge fan of Frankie & Annette movies, and whenever I see them, I break out into a verse of Beach Blanket Bingo – I just cant help it – it must be those crazy bikinis and bouffant hair-dos!
There are a few classics, and a few newer movies, that are worth checking out, with your mom, thinking about your mom, or with your kids, because it’s our day, and we can do whatever we want (am I right, ladies??)!
So, break out the popcorn, and away we go!
6. STEEL MAGNOLIAS: This is one of the most heart-warming movies out there. The relationship that all of these multi-generational women have is one that truly transcends time. The all-star cast includes Sally Field, Julia Roberts, Dolly Parton, Daryl Hannah, and Shirley McClaine and Olympia Dukakis, who portray Ouiser and Clairee – think the Odd Couple meets the judges from the Muppets. They are the best of friends, bicker like an old married couple, and offer so much depth to the story because of their life experiences. It’s definitely a laugh one minute, cry the next movie, so have the tissues ready!
5.THE SOUND OF MUSIC: The loving relationship between Maria and the Von Trap children is just awesome, and leads to one of the best happily-ever-afters out there. Fräulein Maria can sing, play guitar, dance, orchestrate puppet shows, sew, keep secrets, and best of all, does it every step of the way with a smile. Julie Andrews proves that she’s practically perfect in every way, no matter whom she is portraying!
4. STEPMOM: We all have our own stories of parents, relatives, and friends who have been through divorce. While it can be particularly difficult for many, throw in cancer, and dad’s new girlfriend, and you’re sure to create a firestorm. Stepmom, starring Susan Sarandon, Ed Harris and Julia Roberts takes on what has the potential of being a disaster for the kids involved, and shows that with love, compassion, and compromise, three adults can come togehter as one, for what is best for the kids. As it should be.
3. MAMMA MIA: Now, for a more light-hearted movie, that encompasses the wild side of Donna (Meryl Streep), and her daughter, Sophie (Amanda Seyfried), as they prepare for Sophie’s wedding on the fabulous Greek island where they reside. Aside from the outrageously beautiful scenery, the hysterical antics of Sophie, who invites ALL THREE of her potential fathers, unbenownst to her mother, show us that sometimes one mom is really all you need. Especially, when mom has her back-up singers in tow! The soundtrack will having you belting out Abba’s greatest hits, and the ready to hit the souvlaki stand.
2. DISNEYNATURE’S MONKEY KINGDOM: This documentary is unlike many others, because it truly shows the mother-child bond in a way that makes us think that we really need to pay more attention to the animal kingdom, to learn a few lessons on child-raring! Monkey Kingdom stars toque macaque, which are monkeys who live in the jungles of Sri Lanka. Maya, the female lead, is at the bottom of the social class, but when her son Kip enters the picture, she takes measures into her own hands to change their destiny, and make Kip’s life the best that she possibly can. Sounds familiar, right? Tina Fey does an amazing job narrating this movie, injecting just the right amount of humor into a movie that will surely tug at your heart-strings.
1. THE BLIND SIDE: What would you do? What if you were Leigh Anne and Sean Tuohy (played by Sandra Bullock and Tim McGraw)? Would you take in a homeless kid? Would you treat him as if he were one of your own kids? Would you fight for what you know is best for him? Or would you turn your head, and try not to notice a life, that until they stepped in, would have been lost to the streets. The Blind Side, based on a true story, shows how a life can be completely turned around, based on the hard work of an entire family, because, it truly takes a village to raise kids. This is an absolute touchdown of a movie!
Check out Fandango Family to plan a Mother’s Day family celebration at the movies. Fandango is now offering Mother’s Day-branded gift cards. Check out AND we’re offering a $100 Fandango gift card to one lucky reader!! You have to enter to for a chance to win.
*This giveaway will run through May 5, 2015. Winner will be chosen through Giveaway Tools from all valid entries and notified via email. Winner will have 24 hours to contact us before another winner is chosen. Giveaway is open to U.S. (18+) residents only. Giveaway item will be provided by Fandango. Sponsor has the right to refuse filling prize for duplicate winners from other blogs.