One of the things I love about having a four-year-old is that he is now old enough to play games and understand them. We were lucky enough to be able to try out a new game from the makers of the scanimation picture books by Rufus Butler Seder. We already have three of their books in our home library – Gallop, Swing, and Waddle. Once Jack saw that there was a game based on one of his favorite books, he was excited to play!
Gallop! the Game was a huge hit with Jack. It was simple enough to easily understand (for both of us) and was a lot of fun. It played well into Jack’s newly found competitive streak, as well as reinforcing his number recognition and counting.
The game comes with a board equipped with a magical scanimation door that players take turns opening to see which animal will move along the track. Also included are animal movers (horse, cat, rooster, turtle, and butterfly), guess tokens, and two dice. You only use one die during the game, so you have the option of using a die with colors that tell you which spot to land on or you can use a numbered die, depending on the ages and abilities of the players.
Each player gets a guess token that you snap under the animal you think will win. You then take turns turning a knob on the scanimation book and open to see which animal you landed on. Then you roll the die and move that animal according to what the die says. When the winning animal crosses the finish line, all players act out what that animal sounds and looks like.
Jack and I played this game twice this afternoon, which took less than 20 minutes. He had a blast showing me how a butterfly flutters, a cat leaps, and a rooster struts. The game is quick and easy. I think even Nate could get in on the fun, although at 2 years old, he may not understand the point of the game.
All in all, Gallop! the Game will make a great addition to your young child’s game collection. The recommended age range on the game is 3+, and I think that’s about right. Jack is 4 and he totally enjoyed it. In fact, he probably could have kept playing all afternoon! Learn more here at http://discoverybaygames.com/games/gallop.
GIVEAWAY: One (1) That’s IT Mommy reader will receive the Gallop! the game . This giveaway is open to US residents only (18+). Ends 11/17/11.
REQUIRED MAIN ENTRY: To enter, visit http://discoverybaygames.com/ and tell us about another product that you like. Leave your comment in the reply box below this post. That’s IT!
Remember if this REQUIRED ENTRY is not followed then no other entries will count.
Optional Bonus Entries – All entries MUST BE in a separate comment. All are worth 1 point unless otherwise noted.
- Like Discovery Bay Games on Facebook
- Follow Discovery Bay Games on Twitter
- Subscribe to our e-newsletter (or tell us that you already do)
- “Like” us on Facebook (let us know who you are)
- Follow us on Twitter (leave us your twitter ID)
- Grab our button on the right sidebar and post on your website (leave the link) (3 extra – 3 comments #1, #2, #3)
- Follow us on Networked Blogs
- Follow us on GFC (sidebar)
- Enter another one of our current giveaways (3 extra – 3 separate comments #1, #2, #3) Feel free to enter any of our giveaways that interest you, but you will receive a maximum of three extra entries only, no matter how many of our other giveaways you enter
- Leave a comment on any non giveaway post and let us know you did (2 extra – 2 separate comments #1, #2)
- Tweet about this giveaway (Copy – I entered to #Win Gallop! the Game @thatsitmommy @DiscoveryBayEnt http://thatsitmommy.com/?p=18088 #giveaway) come back daily and leave us the link to the tweet (1 extra/day)
*This giveaway will run through midnight on November 17, 2011 (PST). Winner will be chosen using Random.org from all valid entries and notified via email. Winner will have 48 hours to contact us before another winner is chosen. Giveaway is open to U.S. (18+) residents only.
* We did not receive monetary compensation for this review. That’s IT Mommy received Gallop! the Game from Discovery Bay Games free of charge to facilitate this review. Giveaway item will be provided by sponsor. Sponsor has the right to refuse filling prize for duplicate winners from other blogs. This will in no way sway our opinion of the product or service. The review is in our own words and is our opinion. Your results and opinions may differ.