Sometimes I think I’m totally 80’s at heart. When I had the opportunity to check out the new Atari Duo game for iPad….can someone say for sure?!
I’m not sure who was more excited to test this out-me or my husband. My husband was very into video games growing up. Actually, this is one of those childhood things that he never really outgrew! It’s exciting for us to share a part of our childhood with our kids, too.
Simply download “Atari Greatest Hits” game collection from the App Store. Connect your iPad, and GO! We were given “Missile Command“ to test out the Atari Duo system, but quickly downloaded several others, including: Asteroids, Crystal Castles, Centipede, Pong, Red Baron and more. We were immediately taken way back to the simpler times, before iPhones and Blackberries ruled the landscape. And it was great because my 4 year old could immediately join in on the fun!
Don’t forget to warm up! The people at Duo recommend you “Warm up with a bit of flexing and knuckle cracking”. Noted.
- Within the games we tested there were pictures of original game manuals, making this retro game take me back a little bit more.
- Graphics and soundtrack just like I remember
- Good responsiveness of the joystick and buttons
- Joystick adds to the retro cool factor
- Fans of the Atari Arcade trackball games will have to get used to their past time favorites using a joystick.
- Does not work with my existing iPad cover on.
Here is a short video of the Atari Arcade powered by Duo as played my daughter:
It’s amazing to see how far game and computer graphics have come, but this game has been providing our friends and family with tons of enjoyment.
With Christmas coming up, this would make a great gift for the gamer in your life. We’ve had the system to test out for about 8 weeks and the retro-cool factor has yet to wear off. When friends come over, we leave it on the coffee table. Keep this tech gift at the top of your list!
BUY IT: 99 Atari favorites are available for purchase, starting at 99 cent packages, or get all 99 for $15. The Atari Duo can be purchased on Discovery Bay’s website for $59.99.
* We did not receive monetary compensation for this review. That’s IT Mommy received the Atari Arcade and Missile Command from Discovery Bay Games free of charge to facilitate this review. I purchased additional games mentioned for my own enjoyment. This will in no way sway our opinion of the product or service. The review is in our own words and is our opinion. Your results and opinions may differ.