Light Up the Night
Written by Jean Reidy
Illustrated by Margaret Chodos-Irvin
Ages 4 to 8 Years
Published by Disney Hyperion
Being a mom, and a teacher, I’m pretty proud of the fact that I can say I have literally read hundreds of picture books, early readers, chapter books, middle grade novels, and young adult novels. That being said, although my daughters are past the typical ages for picture books, I was really excited at the opportunity to review Light Up the Night, because there’s just something about picture books that really excites me. The way that some picture books are a complete package, from the story, to the illustrations, to the font used, to the way that the words are placed on the pages – it’s something that I truly love. Especially when it’s done well. See, I’ll admit it. I’m a bit of a book snob, and I’m not afraid to give my opinion when my friends are talking about the favorite books that their kids insist on hearing over and over again. I have a tendency to roll my eyes when I hear certain titles, cringe at clichés and books that way too many people say bring tears to their eyes. These are the books that I flip through at book stores or in the library, then, quickly put back on the shelf, hoping that I’m not busted by someone in the know.
Light Up the Night is one of the best picture books I’ve come across in a long, long time. I happy to admit I found the concept and execution to be absolutely fabulous. I loved the rhythm and tone of the story – and the vibrant and very graphic illustrations and page designs were bold and creative without being too artsy for kids. The repetitions that occur within the story are easy for small children to pick up on, and this is a fantastic opportunity to include children in on the reading process. Encouraging even the youngest listeners to become actively involved in reading is such an important step in the process of creating life-long readers. As a mom, I appreciate the thoughtfulness of the story, and as a teacher, I appreciate the potential learning experience that the story allows for children and parents. The story lends itself to exploring the stars and planets, continents and countries, cities and towns, and our own home, sweet home.
Light Up the Night evokes a feeling of picture books by Ezra Jack Keats – someone who I consider to be a true genius – and my personal favorite picture book author/illustrator. It’s a charming story, with eye-catching illustrations, that’s sure to be an any-time favorite, and not just another book on the shelf.
GIVEAWAY: FIVE (5) That’s IT Mommy readers will receive Light Up the Night signed by Jean Reidy. This giveaway is open to US residents only (18+). Ends 12/14/11.
REQUIRED MAIN ENTRY: To enter, tell us what was your favorite book when you were growing up, and what is your favorite children’s book now? Leave your comment in the reply box below this post. That’s IT!
Remember if this REQUIRED ENTRY is not followed then no other entries will count.
Optional Bonus Entries – All entries MUST BE in a separate comment. All are worth 1 point unless otherwise noted.
- Follow Disney Hyperion on Twitter
- Subscribe to our e-newsletter (or tell us that you already do)
- “Like” us on Facebook (let us know who you are)
- Follow us on Twitter (leave us your twitter ID)
- Grab our button on the right sidebar and post on your website (leave the link) (3 extra – 3 comments #1, #2, #3)
- Follow us on Networked Blogs
- Follow us on GFC (sidebar)
- Enter another one of our current giveaways (3 extra – 3 separate comments #1, #2, #3) Feel free to enter any of our giveaways that interest you, but you will receive a maximum of three extra entries only, no matter how many of our other giveaways you enter
- Leave a comment on any non giveaway post and let us know you did (2 extra – 2 separate comments #1, #2)
- Tweet about this giveaway (Copy – 5 winners will receive Light Up the Night signed by Jean Reidy via @thatsitmommy and http://thatsitmommy.com/?p=19770 #giveaway #books) come back daily and leave us the link to the tweet (1 extra/day)
*This giveaway will run through midnight on Dec. 14, 2011 (PST). Winner will be chosen using Random.org from all valid entries and notified via email. Winner will have 48 hours to contact us before another winner is chosen. Giveaway is open to U.S. (18+) residents only.
* We did not receive monetary compensation for this review. That’s IT Mommy received a copy of Light Up the Night from Hyperion Disney free of charge to facilitate this review. Giveaway item will be provided by sponsor. Sponsor has the right to refuse filling prize for duplicate winners from other blogs. This will in no way sway our opinion of the product or service. The review is in our own words and is our opinion. Your results and opinions may differ.