This fun recipe originally ran on my friend Lisa’s Blog, Rantings, Ravings and Red Meat. The Birds Nests are too cute and are the perfect “hostess gift” if you go somewhere for Easter. Lisa dedicates this recipe to her Nana, Claire Dominick. ~Tee
My Nana always loved Easter- it was one of those holidays we always looked forward to when we were kids. Granted, that may have had something to do with the random $5 Easter egg we hoped to find- but her Easter treats are something I will always remember fondly. I make these every year- and they make me think of her and smile.
* 3 c. mini marshmallows
* 3 TBSP unsalted butter
* 1/2 tsp vanilla
* 4 c. dry chow mein noodles
* small candies, jelly beans, m & m’s, etc. (i like to use colored “eggs” that look like robins eggs)
* shortening for hands (optional but better than butter- keeps mix from sticking to your hands!)
1) Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
2) Over low heat, melt the marshmallows and butter in a large saucepan.
3) Once melted, stir in the vanilla, then the chow mein noodles.
4) Coat your hands with shortening, (butter doesn’t work as well) and have some nearby for re-coating.
5) Grab a clump of noodles smaller than a tennis ball and larger than a golf ball. Form into a ball while pressed your thumbs into the middle, forming a nest and place in greased muffin tin, then refrigerate.