Last month was SIDS Awareness month. We posted a list of tips to follow to help keep your baby safe (list provided by Halo Innovations). Halo also kindly sent us their Velboa SleepSack wearable blanket in Mocha to review.
I think wearable blankets are a great idea. They are safer than regular blankets because they will never cover your babies head. This is, of course, important as rebreathing carbon dioxide is thought to be one of the contributing factors to SIDS. Even though my son is 8 months old and I have less worry about this happening as compared to when he was younger, he definitely tends to kick off regular blankets during the night. I know he then gets cold and subsequently wakes up very unhappy! Since we’ve been using the SleepSack, he has been sleeping longer through the night. This was an overnight change so I can only attribute that to beginning the use of the SleepSack. This sleep sack also comes embroided with “Back is Best” over the left chest, as a constant reminder to put your baby on his or her back to sleep.
Other features of the HALO SleepSack include:
- Sleeveless—to reduce the risk of rebreathing (of carbon dioxide) into the sleeve, as well as overheating.
- Inverted zipper—zips from top to bottom so it’s harder for baby to unzip, and the zipper won’t catch on baby’s chin. Also makes diaper changes easier, as you wont need to completely disrobe baby.
- Sack design—babies can’t kick off covers so they stay warm and comfortable all night long. Generous fit makes it easy for baby to move and kick legs.
- Velboa—a durable material wicks moisture and breathes so there is less overheating.
- Flame-resistant—tested to meet U.S. children’s sleepwear flame-resistant standards.
HALO SleepSacks are now available at Target. In addition to the type reviewed in this article, HALO also makes ‘swaddler’ and ‘early walker’ versions for the varying needs of your family.
HALO Innovations is a company dedicated to creating a healthier and safer sleeping environment for adults and children. Founder William Schmid began researching sleeping environments after he lost a daughter to Sudden Infant Death Syndrome in 1991. A percentage of HALO Innovations’ profits are donated to First Candle/SIDS Alliance and the Canadian Foundation for the Study of Infant Deaths to fund ongoing SIDS research, education and family support.
That’s IT Mommy friend, Heather
GIVEAWAY: PR for HALO Innovations, Inc. is kindly offering one That’s IT Mommy reader one (1) HALO Wearable Blanket of their choice (based on availability, U.S. and Canada only, 18+)
REQUIRED ENTRY – To enter, (1) visit HALO Innovations and let us know one thing you learned to keep your baby safe and (2) let us know which style, size and color wearable blanket you would like if you are the winner. Come back here and leave your comments in the reply box below this post.
Remember if this REQUIRED ENTRY is not followed then no other entries will count.
Optional Bonus Entries – All entries MUST BE in a separate comment.
- “Like” HALO Innovations on Facebook (2 extra – 2 comments #1, #2)
- Follow HALO Innovation on Twitter (2 extra–2 comments #1, #2)
- Subscribe to our e-newsletter (or tell us that you already do) (2 extra – 2 comments #1, #2)
- “Like” us on Facebook (let us know who you are) (2 extra – 2 comments #1, #2)
- Follow us on Twitter (leave us your twitter ID) (2 extra – 2 comments #1, #2)
- Blog about this giveaway and tell us why you want to win (leave the link) (3 extra – 3 comments #1, #2, #3)
- Follow us on Networked Blogs (1 extra)
- Enter another one of our current giveaways (3 extra – 3 separate comments #1, #2, #3)
- Leave a comment on any non giveaway post and let us know you did(3 extra – 3 separate comments #1, #2, #3)
- Tweet about this giveaway (Copy – Win a SleepSack from @halosleepsack http://thatsitmommy.com/?p=7294 via @ThatsITMommy #giveaway) come back daily and leave us the link to the tweet (1 extra)
This giveaway will run through midnight on December 2, 2010 (PST). Winner will be chosen using Random.org from all valid entries and notified via email. Winner will have 48 hours to contact us before another winner is chosen. If winner’s primary choice is not available, winner will be notified and may choose an alternate wearable blanket. Giveaway is open to U.S. and Canadian (18+) residents only.
* We did not receive monetary compensation for this review. That’s IT Mommy received the SleepSack mentioned in this post to facilitate this review. This will in no way sway our opinion of the product or service. The review is in our own words and is our opinion. Your results and opinions may differ.