Summer is here and backpacks are put away or turned into beach bags! If you are looking for a way to make sure your child keeps a book in there with their beach towel, check out the iVillage PBS Kids Summer Reading Challenge. This is a great way to keeps your kids reading all summer long!
I hosted a Summer Reading Party at my daughter’s preschool school with 12, 3-4 year olds. The kids gathered around to listen to their teacher read them a book called There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Chick. The book was provided to us by Scholastic (a partner in the program) and each child got a copy to take home! We then went over the story and asked what everyone’s favorite part was.
Then it was off to watch Super Why? Around the World Adventure . The kids LOVED it and were even more excited when I informed them that they were some of the first kids to watch it because it hadn’t even been on TV yet!
The kids wondered how I got it! I explained (maybe bragged a little) to them that I knew the characters from Super Why? and had hung out with them in Colorado at the PBS annual meeting. Of course I had to show them some pictures to make sure they believed me.
Each child was also provided with some other fun reading goodies from PBS, iVillage and Scholastic to get them started on their summer reading! We had a great time and the parents were very impressed with all the goodies and information their kids brought home.
The Summer Reading Challenge is going on now and you (or your child) can sign up for daily tips and challenges for your kids. You can track their progress, download printable materials and even find free iTunes downloads from PBS. The two coaches over seeing the challenge, Angela Santomero and Jessica Wollman are both pretty amazing women. If you haven’t heard of them then make sure to check out their bios! Hurry over to iVillage and sign up for the Summer Reading Challenge! Also make sure to check out PBS Kids special programming for the summer.
- CURIOUS GEORGE, “Monkey Business Week” – Starting June 25 *Includes one NEW episode*
- SUPER WHY!, “Royal Reading Week” – Starting July 2
- THE ELECTRIC COMPANY, “Prankster Planet” – Starting July 9
- DINOSAUR TRAIN, “Gone Fishing Week” – Starting July 16
- MARTHA SPEAKS, “Dog Daze Week” – Starting July 23 *Includes one NEW episode*
- THE CAT IN THE HAT KNOWS A LOT ABOUT THAT!, “Creepy Crawly Week” – Starting July 30
- SID THE SCIENCE KID, “Get Up and Move Week” – Starting August 6
Visit PBS Kids online for fun educational games, contests and videos. Such a fun way to keep your kids learning all summer long!
* We did not receive monetary compensation for this review. That’s IT Mommy is a PBS Kids VIP Blog and we were provided with summer reading party packs free of charge.