Available for the first time ever on Blu-ray with high definition sound and picture, so you can enjoy even more of my blue-ness, not to mention the incredible spectacle of Kermit the Frog as Bob Cratchit, Miss Piggy as Emily Cratchit, Academy Award® winner Michael Caine (Best Supporting Actor, 1999, “The Cider House Rules”) as Scrooge, wonderful songs by Oscar® winner Paul Williams (Best Original Song, 1976, “Evergreen” from “A Star Is Born”) and, of course, my pal Rizzo the Rat as … well, Rizzo the Rat.
This is a heartwarming and hilarious holiday classic, told as never before by yours truly! Yule love it!
My Thoughts: The Muppet Christmas Carol is a treat for Muppet fans young and old! It’s a wonderful version of the Charles’s Dickson’s classic tale. The Muppets add their charm and humor to the script and Michael Caine convincingly plays Ebenezer Scrooge.
The scene takes place in London and Charles Dickens (Gonzo the Great) narrates the story. Scrooge is a tight wad who only cares for himself. On Christmas Eve, Scrooge is visited by a slew of spirits! First, mean-spirited former business partners, Jacob and Robert Marley. They are condemned to an afterlife of misery to make up for the horrible deeds they committed in life. They are followed by three other spirits Ghost of Christmas Past, Christmas Present and the Christmas Yet To Come. Scrooge gets a glimpse into what could happen to the people around him and what his fate would be if he doesn’t change his ways. He awakes from his journey, grateful and redeems himself to his family and friends.
The production and acting is awesome and I think this is a terrific introduction to The Christmas Carol for children. The film was directed by Jim Henson’s son Brian Henson and released by Walt Disney Pictures for the first time on Blu-Ray. This would make the perfect Christmas gift!
Suggested Retail Price & 2-Disc Combo Pack (Blu-ray and Digital Copy) = $26.50 U.S. and Canada
1-Disc DVD = $19.99 U.S. and $24.99 Canada
Blu-ray Bonus Features:
- Disney Intermission—An all-new bonus feature. When the film is paused, fans can watch and “cluck-a-long” to five classic holiday-themed songs performed by the Muppets Chickens and chums.
- Audio Commentary—All-new audio commentary with fan-favorite characters, Kermit, Rizzo, Gonzo, and more, all reflecting on their experience making “The Muppet Christmas Carol.”
Frogs, Pigs and Humbug: Unwrapping a New Holiday Classic. A Behind the Scenes Look
- Blooper Reel: “On the Set” Bloopers from the set of the film.
- Pepe Profiles Gonzo: “Portrait of the Artist as a Young Weirdo”—A Special look at the man, the myth, the legend the Great Gonzo, hosted by the one and only Pepe the King Prawn.
- Christmas Around the World—Gonzo and Rizzo take a look at how Christmas is celebrated all over the planet.
DVD Bonus Features: Audio Commentary with Brian Henson
- Blooper Reel
- Pepe Profiles Presents “Gonzo: A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Weirdo.”
- Christmas Around the World
Rating: G in U.S. and Canada. Bonus material not rated.
Run Time: Appr
* We did not receive monetary compensation for this review. Tee received the Blu-ray from PR free of charge to facilitate this review. This will in no way sway our opinion of the product or service. The review is in our own words and is our opinion. Your results and opinions may differ.