If you are looking for a way to pass the time this summer, spend it seeing some fantastic beasts that can be found only at the Getty Museum. For one day only, on Saturday, June 15, the daylong and creatively interactive Family Festival will include all sorts of events where guests will find delight and wonder in fantastic animals, real and imagined, who will roam the Getty Center inspired by the exhibition The Book of Beasts: The Bestiary in the Medieval World.
Become a winged, hoofed, or scaled animal yourself through hands-on demonstrations, performances, and workshops. Whether you prefer real or fanciful creatures, there’s something for everyone to enjoy at this beastly festival. Best of all its FREE! And here is the list of events that will happen on that day.
- Rangoli Dance Company Vahanas: God’s Own Vehicles 10:30–11:15 a.m. & 2:00–2:45 p.m. Using vibrant rhythms, sweeping gestures, and facial expressions, dancers showcase Bharatanatyam (Indian classical dance) and folk movements to depict the gods and their animal mounts.
- Conservation Ambassadors Live Animal Presentation 11:45 a.m.–12:30 p.m. & 3:15–4:00 p.m. Conservation Ambassadors, a rescue sanctuary and education organization, is here to connect you with this mythical wild world. Come face-to-face with a giant African frog, African crested porcupine, lemur, screech owl, and alligator!
- Bob Barker Marionette Theater The Circus 1:00–1:30 p.m. & 4:45–5:15 p.m. Los Angeles’ beloved Bob Baker Marionette Theater brings The Circus to the Getty in a wonderful display of circus merriment—all on strings!
- Creative Faces Animal Painting 10:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m. Our talented artists will transform you into your favorite animal friend! You too can become a beast like the ones seen in the Book of Beasts exhibition.
- Where the Wild Beasts Roam 10:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m. Artist Kiel Johnson has rounded up three glorious beasts discovered during an exploration of medieval prints and drawings. He has captured their images in life-size form for you to meet and photograph.
- A Mythical Encounter 11:30 a.m.–12:00 p.m., 12:30–1:00 p.m., 1:30–2:00 p.m., 3:00–3:30 p.m. Become a unicorn, Pegasus, or centaur with Kiel Johnson’s interactive sculpture.
- Reading: Don’t Let the Beasties Escape This Book! 11:30 a.m and 1:45 p.m. Strange and magical things can happen when you peek inside a Book of Beasts! Join award-winning author Julie Berry, and illustrator, April Lee, for a reading of their new children’s book.
- Don’t Let the Beasties Escape This Book! WORKSHOPS 10:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m. with last seating at 5:30 p.m. Unicorn Magic with Marianne Sadowski Create a unique unicorn headdress with diverse collage materials and wear it while discovering the beastly magic at the Getty.
- Wing Bling with Marcus Kuiland-Nazario Glide through the museum with your own pair of wings! Turn into the sky-soaring beasts of your dreams through this interactive workshop. Choose to be an extraordinary dragon, a majestic bird of prey, or even a winged Pegasus! Beastly Frames Add something special to your photos with a handmade frame. Design it with your favorite animal’s aesthetic—whether scaly, furry, or feathered. Your favorite photo will come alive in a new wild way.