Living in Los Angeles requires my family to spend lots of time in the car. And as parents, we make every effort to ensure our children’s safety while in our automobiles. A car seat is definitely an essential baby product. It’s a necessity and mandatory when you leave the hospital with your newborn. A car seat is more than an investment and should offer protection, comfort and value.
In our travels, That’s IT Mommy came across Britax, a company that produces car seats with one of the most impressive safety ratings. We were happy to take Britax’s newest model the Frontier 85 SICT for a test-drive. What was my initial reaction? Whoa! This is the mother load of car seats! The car seat is wide and quite padded. My daughter’s reaction? “Wow, that’s a cool seat!” As her daddy buckled her in.
My husband had no problem installing the seat and used the latches plus the lap seat belt. This car seat will not budge! Teagan loves this seat. She actually likes resting her head against the deep head wings. I was afraid that the wings would block her view of the outside but that’s not a problem at all.
We’re all about the cup holders and this seat has two. I like that you don’t have to attach cup holders (they always fall off!). These cup holders seem to hold all sizes of cups. My daughter also uses them to hold her markers! Teagan does have snacks and drinks, which lends itself to accidents. Fortunately, the Frontier 85 SICT has washable covers. One of my pet peeves about certain car seats is that the straps get turned around. We haven’t experienced that with the Britax straps. The chest clip stays in place and all the buckles work smoothly! Also, the material has not frayed. Fraying was an issue on our former car seats.
A couple of concerns for us are that the Side Impact Cushion Technology (SICT) makes the car seat wide and may be best suited in an SUV. The seat is awesome but we have trouble getting people in the back to ride next to Teagan. My daughter usually rides the seat in the middle, which leaves little room for people on either side of her. We’ve managed but sometime we feel a little squished! And the extra plastic does mean that the surface gets hot. I do wish that there were extra material to cover the plastic. Also, the Frontier 85 SICT is significantly heavy (22 lbs!). The seat is FDA approved for flying however the weight alone would deter me from carrying this seat around at the airport.
We’ve had two car seats prior to this and The Frontier 85 SICT definitely surpasses my expectations. Teagan rides in style and she seems to truly enjoy her travels. I even catch her holding on to the Comfort pads. Britax seats are priced higher than some of the others I’ve purchased but keep in mind that this car seat grows with your child. This seat accommodates children 25 to 120 pounds! You also have three fabric options- Cardinal, Onyx and Portobello.
Safety Product features:
- The Frontier 85 SICT car seat is essentially an upgrade to the Frontier 85. Britax upgraded the Side Impact Cushion Technology (SICT).
- Side Impact Cushion Technology features energy-absorbing cushions on the exterior of the child seat to reduce side impact crash energy by 45% by diverting crash forces away from your child and providing extra protection for the adjacent passenger.
- True Side Impact Protection offers a head restraint creating an extra layer of energy-absorbing EPP foam, keeping the head, neck and spine “in true” or aligned, and deep side walls lined with EPP foam to distribute crash forces, shield from vehicle intrusion, and contain the head, neck and body.
- 85-pound Five-Point Harness Seat Capacity allows your child to remain harnessed up to 85 lbs or in booster mode to 120 lbs.
The Frontier 85 SICT retails for $339.99. I found it on Amazon.com on sale for $254.99.
Britax fans! Britax is offering specials!
- Winter Travel Event! Buy a Britax Boulevard 70 Convertible Car Seat and get a Free Travel Cart! Click here to find out more!
- Free Ride Event! Buy a B-READY and get a free infant car seat, bassinet or second seat. More info here!
Having issues installing any car seat? Check with your local highway patrol. They may offer inspections. Los Angeles residents- the California State Highway Patrol offers Car Seat Safety Inspections. www.chp.ca.gov
I’m really excited that one of our lucky readers can test this car seat out for themselves. How rockin’ is that??
GIVEAWAY: One (1) That’s IT Mommy reader will receive the Frontier 85 SICT in their choice of fabric. This giveaway is open to US residents only (18+). Ends 11/7/11.
REQUIRED MAIN ENTRY: To enter, visit http://www.britaxusa.com/ and tell us something else you learned about the Frontier 85 SICT car seat AND tell us about another Britax product you like. Leave your comment in the reply box below this post. That’s IT!
Remember if this REQUIRED ENTRY is not followed then no other entries will count.
Optional Bonus Entries – All entries MUST BE in a separate comment. All are worth 1 point unless otherwise noted.
- Like Britax on Facebook
- Follow Britax on Twitter
- Subscribe to our e-newsletter (or tell us that you already do)
- “Like” us on Facebook (let us know who you are)
- Follow us on Twitter (leave us your twitter ID)
- Grab our button on the right sidebar and post on your website (leave the link) (3 extra – 3 comments #1, #2, #3)
- Follow us on Networked Blogs
- Follow us on GFC (sidebar)
- Enter another one of our current giveaways (3 extra – 3 separate comments #1, #2, #3) Feel free to enter any of our giveaways that interest you, but you will receive a maximum of three extra entries only, no matter how many of our other giveaways you enter
- Leave a comment on any non giveaway post and let us know you did (2 extra – 2 separate comments #1, #2)
- Tweet about this giveaway (Copy – I entered to #Win the @Britax Frontier 85 SICT Car Seat! via @thatsitmommy http://thatsitmommy.com/?p=17564 #giveaway #safety) come back daily and leave us the link to the tweet (1 extra/day)
*This giveaway will run through midnight on Nov 7, 2011 (PST). Winner will be chosen using Random.org from all valid entries and notified via email. Winner will have 48 hours to contact us before another winner is chosen. Giveaway is open to U.S. (18+) residents only.
* We did not receive monetary compensation for this review. That’s IT Mommy received the Frontier 85 SICT from Britax free of charge to facilitate this review. Giveaway item will be provided by sponsor. Sponsor has the right to refuse filling prize for duplicate winners from other blogs. This will in no way sway our opinion of the product or service. The review is in our own words and is our opinion. Your results and opinions may differ.