Anime Expo returns to the Los Angeles Convention Center over the July 4th weekend from Saturday, July 1st to Tuesday, July 4th.
It is the largest anime, manga and Japanese pop culture convention in North America and features the very best in Japanese entertainment, music, fashion and video games.
The growth in its attendance rivals that of San Diego Comic-Con. Just the line to get in for the first day was over capacity in the area it was in and had to be diverted on to the sidewalk outside the Convention Center, under the 10 Fwy overpass and doubled back toward the Convention Center. This is something I had never, ever, seen happen at Anime Expo before. Plus with it’s popularity growing and the increase in size, it uses every inch of the Los Angeles Convention Center, including concerts at the adjacent Club Nokia and Microsoft Theater at LA Live, and some programming at the JW Marriott.
Here are some of the scheduled events that will be happening over the weekend at Anime Expo:
• Anisong World Matsuri 2017 is back once again after making it’s debut last year.
– Japan Kawaii Live: Aqours, JUNNA and Minori Suzuki from Walküre, THE IDOLM@STER CINDERELLA GIRLS, and Wake Up, Girls!
– ~Japan Super Live~: ALI PROJECT, angela, GARNiDELiA, Konomi Suzuki, Mashiro Ayano, and Minori Chihara
• Resident Evil: Vendetta (screening with Q&A panel)
– with ADR Director Alex von David, voice actors Kevin Dorman (Chris Redfield) and John DeMita (Glenn Arias)
• Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card – Prologue OVA World Premiere (screening with Q&A panel)
– with Producer Chiyo Kawazoe
• Tokyo Ghoul – Live-Action Movie World Premiere (screening with special guests)
• Frederator and Netflix Present: Castlevania (sneak preview and panel)
– with Executive Producers Adi Shankar, Larry Tanz, and Kevin Kolde
• Lupin the 3rd celebrates 50 years at AX 2017!
– The US premiere of Lupin the 3rd – Italian Game will be shown with an exclusive t-shirt, specially designed by Hisao Yokobori, for attendees at the screening
• Overwatch Voice Actors’ Panel
– Q&A with lead writer Michael Chu and voice actors Anjali Bhimani (Symmetra), Charlet Chung (D.Va), Fred Tatasciore (Soldier: 76), Jonny Cruz (Lucio) and Keith Silverstein (Tjorborn)
• We Are X: The X Japan Documentary (screening with Q&A panel)
– with X Japan’s Yoshiki
• galaxxxy’s 10th Anniversary Party!
– Hang out with the designers from galaxxxy in the VIP Lounge at The NOVO.
• AX Dance 2017 DJ Line Up and AX’s first electronic music concert Neon District
– Neon District: *Taku Takahashi, TeddyLoid and Pa’s Lam System with more artists
– Day 1: ConXion presented by Attack the Music
Ujico/Snail’s House, voia, KO3, James Landino, Hikeii, kiraku, Mitomoro and bansheebeat
– Day 2: Hatsune Miku’s 10th Anniversary Dance Party presented by Just Dance 2018:
Hachioji P, BIGHEAD, Orkestrate, Revolution Boi, Varien, and Special Guest
– Day 3: DerteeDisco, OTAKUpassport, Dj Aries, Dj Tw33k, Dj Meirlin, Dj Kitsch, Dj BUSTA-ROW and Kurousagi 808
• maidreamin Returns to AX
– three of the top maids from the No. 1 Maid Cafe restaurant in Japan will be back at AX for performances and they will have their own booth too
• Fashion Show: featuring Baby Doll Tokyo, galaxxxy and Listen Flavor
• Special Guests include: Yuto Tsukuda, Ryo Horikawa, Seán Schemmel, Shigeto Koyama, Misty/Chronexia, Long Vo, Kari Wahlgren, and many others
• Dragon Ball Super exclusives along with special guests at the Dragon Ball Super Stage
– Super Saiyan Goku – Ultimate Deco Edition 2017 Convention Exclusive
– Ultra Deluxe Scouter – Ultimate Deco Edition 2017 Convention Exclusive
– body painter Kay Pike, toy concept artist Erick Sosa and cosplayer VampyBitMe
• AX Masquerade is the event that cosplayers from around the world attend to perform and show off their amazing costumes
• Exhibit Hall is where you can find all types of items from your favorite anime/manga, cosplay accessories and more cool stuff
• Artists Alley was expanded and moved Kentia Hall in the lower level of the South Hall last year, along with the Autograph Area. This area was a bit of a traffic jam area and had really bad A/C circulation. I hope they fixed this area because I made it down one aisle and immediately left from feeling claustrophobic
• Table Top Gaming is still in Kentia Hall but slightly smaller area
• Entertainment Hall which holds the Cosplay Photo Sets and Repair Center, Arcade, eGaming, Art Show and Community Stage are still located in the West Exhibit Hall
• Maid and Butler Cafe, Live Programming, Karaoke, and Workshops are still located in the Concourse Meeting Rooms connecting the two halls and other various meeting rooms
There is always so much to do and see at Anime Expo every year. It is very easy to spend the entire day and night, shopping, playing games, checking out the anime viewing rooms and panels. The cosplayers go all out with their costumes and create some stunning pieces. The arcade area is a fun place to just hang out and watch some of the attendees play the rhythm games and check out some really nice looking cars too.
Passes for AX 2017 are still available and on sale now at very reasonable pricing.
For more info. and updates visit www.anime-expo.org.