My husband and I have been parents for four years now. In those four years, he has changed diapers, taken care of a 2 year old with the stomach flu, kissed booboos, and applied Scooby Doo band-aids with the utmost care. However, he has never, yes never, taken a temperature. He always defers that task to me saying that as a nurse, I’m more qualified. In reality, he is terrified of sticking a thermometer under Nate’s arm or a tympanic thermometer into Jack’s ear.
When I was in the hospital after having Nate, the nurse came in to do my vital signs and swiped across my forehead with a thermometer I’d never seen before. It was awesome. I barely had to be bothered for those 2am vital signs. Adam promptly decided we needed one of those thermometers, but I always forgot to buy one until one of the boys was already running a fever. When I was given the opportunity to try the Exergen TemporalScanner infrared thermometer, it felt like serendipity.
We opened the box like kids on Christmas morning and were quick to try it out. Our first thoughts about it? It’s made in the United States. Actually, it’s the only thermometer made in the US. That is really cool. Second, it comes with a battery. Hallelujah! Finally, something that actually comes with a battery!
We popped the battery in and took our temperatures. You place the probe on the center of the forehead, hold the scan button down, gently slide it across the forehead to the hairline, and in 2-3 seconds you have your reading. It’s simple as can be, painless, and quiet. In fact, after Adam and I tried it out on each other last night, I tried it on a sleeping Jack. The thermometer makes quiet beeping noises while reading the temperature, but it didn’t seem to bother him. The sweeping across his forehead caused him to rouse a little from his sleep and slap my hand away like a bug. But, I got his temperature and he was snoring again in seconds.
My temperature-taking phobic husband is now a convert. In fact, this was an early Father’s Day gift for him. I don’t think he’ll be delegating this task to me anymore. He loved how easy and essentially fool-proof this thermometer is, that it is comfortable for the boys, and registers quickly. The fact that he can do it while they’re sleeping without having to wake them is great. He now feels like he can be more hands-on and involved in their care when they’re not feeling well instead of always looking to me for advice.
If there are any moms out there (like me) who have partners who feel helpless when your kiddos are sick, I’d recommend this as a Father’s Day gift. It’s a simple way to get them involved in caring for the kids and it’s a new gadget to play with (Adam’s going to wear out the batteries taking everyone’s temperatures in no time). All in all, it’s a great addition to your medicine cabinet!
The thermometer works by capturing the naturally emitted heat from the skin over the temporal artery. Exergen’s President Francesco Pompei, Ph.D., states “Research proves that this is amongst the most accurate way to test for fever in all ages and it is clearly the least invasive.” Tests show it is accurate to within +0.2°F, which is more accurate than other methods.
You can purchase the Exergen TermporalScanner at Wal-Mart, Walgreens, Costco, Babies R Us, Toys R Us, and Sam’s Clubs nationwide. It has a suggested retail price of less than $50, and comes with a one year warranty. You can see the thermometer for yourself or read more about it at www.temporalscanner.com.
GIVEAWAY: One (1) That’s IT Mommy reader will receive an Exergen TemporalScanner Thermometer. This giveaway is open to US residents only (18+). Ends 6/12/11.
REQUIRED MAIN ENTRY: To enter, just let us know your favorite tip for helping your little ones feel better when they are sick. Leave your comment in the reply box below this post. That’s IT!
Remember if this REQUIRED ENTRY is not followed then no other entries will count.
Optional Bonus Entries – All entries MUST BE in a separate comment. All are worth 1 point unless otherwise noted.
- Like Exergen Corporation on Facebook
- Follow Exergen on Twitter
- Subscribe to our e-newsletter (or tell us that you already do)
- “Like” us on Facebook (let us know who you are)
- Follow us on Twitter (leave us your twitter ID)
- Grab our button on the right sidebar and post on your website (leave the link) (3 extra – 3 comments #1, #2, #3)
- Follow us on Networked Blogs
- Enter another one of our current giveaways (3 extra – 3 separate comments #1, #2, #3) Feel free to enter any of our giveaways that interest you, but you will receive a maximum of three extra entries only, no matter how many of our other giveaways you enter
- Leave a comment on any non giveaway post and let us know you did (2 extra – 2 separate comments #1, #2)
- Tweet about this giveaway (Copy – #Win an Exergen Temporal Scanner Thermometer via @thatsitmommy &@exergen http://thatsitmommy.com/?p=12534 #giveaway) come back daily and leave us the link to the tweet (1 extra/day)
*This giveaway will run through midnight on June 12, 2011 (PST). Winner will be chosen using Random.org from all valid entries and notified via email. Winner will have 48 hours to contact us before another winner is chosen. Giveaway is open to U.S. (18+) residents only.
* We did not receive monetary compensation for this review. We did receive the item mentioned to facilitate this review. Giveaway item will be provided by sponsor. This will in no way sway our opinion of the product or service. The review is in our own words and is our opinion. Your results and opinions may differ.