Marvel Super Heroes Magazine have just released their first issue and we were lucky to get one to review! The first issue focuses on The Mighty Avengers. With the release of the movie you may have seen the “A” logo with the arrow. We know this “A” stands for Avengers but for issue #1 of the Marvel Super Heroes Magazine I say it stands for “Awesome”!
I’m usually concerned with comic book products geared toward the younger crowds. They tend to be watered-down or over-simplified. However, the Mighty Avengers issue of MSHM does not disappoint! In fact it does an incredible job of providing and introducing a decent overview of the Avengers by celebrating the past and founding Avengers as well as the heroes currently on the team. No shortage of content here “true believers”!
This 1st issue of Marvel Super Heroes Magazine-The Mighty Avengers is quite spectacular. It’s filled with puzzles, games, comics and pull-out posters. The artwork is bold and super cool. There’s different artist renditions of each Avenger member. I love the mixture of artists and their variations of the character artwork. Some characters are drawn as an evolution and some artists draw with tasteful simplification. Everything is big and bold and exciting! This magazine will totally grasp the target audience which is boys between the ages of 8-10. But I can truly say I have read through the magazine at least 5 times. And not for the sake of this review! I learned a few things about past Avengers I never even knew existed!
A soon as you look at the artwork you want to sit down and draw the characters. My daughter and I did just that as she wanted to draw Black Window. My daughter is almost five and is drawn to Black Widow since she is a female but she’s extremely interested in other super heroes as well. I like to draw Hawkeye!
The material in the magazine is appropriate for children. It’s full of action, ideas and adventure but short on the violence. My daughter is very curious about heroes vs. villains and wants to know their motivation. She’s 4.5 but I was not concerned that this magazine was “too old” for her or “for boys only”.
The magazine is also a workbook with activities to fill out and things to cut up. If you are looking to collect the Marvel Super Heroes Magazine then we suggest buying two. One to keep and one to go to town on!
Marvel Super Heroes Magazine- The Mighty Avengers goes for $4.99 and is published bi-monthly by Disney Publishing Worldwide. Each issue is 36 pages and features different Avengers plus even more mind-blowing comics, adventures, puzzles and games! “Nuff said”…
– That’s IT Daddy, Sean
BUY IT: Wal-Mart, Target, B&N, Kroger stores, and Comic Book stores
GIVEAWAY: One (1) That’s IT Mommy reader will receive a complimentary 1-year subscription to the magazine. This giveaway is open to US residents only (18+). Ends 6/7/12.
REQUIRED MAIN ENTRY: To enter, answer this question: If you were a Super Hero and you could only have one power what would that be and why? Leave your comment in the reply box below this post. That’s IT!
Remember if this REQUIRED ENTRY is not followed then no other entries will count.
Optional Bonus Entries – All entries MUST BE in a separate comment. All are worth 1 point unless otherwise noted.
- Follow @DisneyDigiBooks and @DisneyReads (5 extra – 5 comments #1, #2, #3, #4, #5)
- Subscribe to our e-newsletter (or tell us that you already do)
- “Like” us on Facebook (let us know who you are)
- Follow us on Twitter (leave us your twitter ID)
- Follow us on Pinterest
- Grab our button on the right sidebar and post on your website (leave the link) (3 extra – 3 comments #1, #2, #3)
- Follow us on Networked Blogs
- Enter another one of our current giveaways (3 extra – 3 separate comments #1, #2, #3) Feel free to enter any of our giveaways that interest you, but you will receive a maximum of three extra entries only, no matter how many of our other giveaways you enter
- Leave a comment on any non giveaway post and let us know you did (2 extra – 2 separate comments #1, #2)
- Tweet about this giveaway (Copy – #Win a 1-year subscription of @Marvel Super Heroes Magazine! via @thatsitmommy @disneyreads http://thatsitmommy.com/?p=25513 #giveaway) come back daily and leave us the link to the tweet (1 extra/day)
*This giveaway will run through midnight on June 7, 2012 (PST). Winner will be chosen using Random.org from all valid entries and notified via email. Winner will have 48 hours to contact us before another winner is chosen. Giveaway is open to U.S. (18+) residents only.
* We did not receive monetary compensation for this review. That’s IT Mommy received The first issue from Disney World Publishing free of charge to facilitate this review. Giveaway item will be provided by sponsor. Sponsor has the right to refuse filling prize for duplicate winners from other blogs. This will in no way sway our opinion of the product or service. The review is in our own words and is our opinion. Your results and opinions may differ.