In Celebration of Universal Studios’ 100 Anniversary, One of the Most Beloved Films of All Time Comes to Blu-ray for the First Time Ever
E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL
Steven Spielberg’s Unforgettable Adventure Debuts in A Digitally Remastered 30th anniversary Edition Blu-ray™ Combo Pack With Blu-ray, DVD, Digital Copy & UltraViolet™
ET is one of the best movies of all time! This phenomenal movie is now available on BLU-RAY for the first time ever! I was fortunate to receive a review copy. I haven’t seen E.T. since the 80s and what a nostalgic trip! I remembered every moment of the film and as an adult I had even more appreciation for the amazing plot, terrific cast, beautiful soundtrack and memorable dialogue. This film really has it all!
The movie is set in California and begins with a group of alien (E.T.s) botanists gathering plant samples. The government shows up and the alien spaceship flees but mistakenly leaves an extra terrestrial behind. This extra terrestrial hides out in a tool shed in a near by neighborhood. The alien is soon discovered by a boy named Elliot (Henry Thomas). The two quickly develop a friendship over Reese’s
pieces. E.T. makes his home in Elliot’s closet and is introduced to siblings, Michael (Robert MacNaughton) and Gertie (Drew Barrymore).
E.T. has formed a psychic connection with Elliot. Strangely, the two are sharing feelings. This leads to hysterical mishaps such as E.T. getting drunk after invading the refrigerator. Elliot winds up exhibiting drunk behavior in science class and disrupts the frog dissection lesson and snags a kiss from a classmate! Meanwhile, Gertie is at home giving E.T. a spelling lesson “B, good”.
Michael starts to notice Elliot acting strangely and that E.T.’s health is declining. E.T. is desperately trying to “phone home”. The government learns (illegal wire tapping??) of E.T.’s location and invades their home to find Elliot and E.T. dying. The rest of the movie has the legendary flying bicycle scene, reunions and emotional farewells. I don’t want to spoil the ending if you are new to this movie!!
It’s been 30 years since the original release of this film. It is truly a timeless classic. Who can ever forget the moment E.T. puts his glowing bony finger to Elliot’s forehead and declares, “I’ll… be…right… here.” I still love this movie and I admit to crying like a baby while watching it. This movie has an innocence that modern day movies lack. A curiously magical story seen through the eyes of a child.
I live in L.A. and I’ve seen Henry Thomas out and about. Would it be wrong for me to call out, EL-LI-OT??? The Anniversary Edition has fun bonus features such as reflections from Steven Spielberg, The E.T. Reunion and deleted scenes. The anniversary edition is a must have and would make the perfect holiday gift for any family! – Tee
BONUS FEATURES ON THE E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL ANNIVERSARY EDITION BLU-RAY™:
- The E.T. Journals: In this all-new bonus feature, retrace the day-to-day experience of creating E.T from never-before-seen, behind-the-scenes footage shot by Academy Award®-winning cinematographer John Toll. This piece will give viewers a unique feeling of being on the set and living the excitement of what it was like to make E.T.
- Steven Spielberg & E.T.: Watch an all-new interview with Steven Spielberg, as he reflects back on the film and discusses his experience working with the actors, as well as his overall and current perspective on E.T.
- Deleted Scenes: Two scenes from 2002 version of the film.
- A Look Back: A special insider’s look into the making of E.T. featuring interviews with Steven Spielberg, the cast, and others intimately involved with the film.
- The E.T. Reunion: The cast and filmmaker reunite to discuss their thoughts on the impact of the film.
- The Evolution and Creation of E.T.: From idea to screenplay, through casting and making the film.
- The Music of E.T.: A Discussion with John Williams: Interviews and footage focused on the long-standing relationship between John Williams and Steven Spielberg.
- The 20th Anniversary Premiere: Composer John Williams played the score of E.T. live at the Shrine Auditorium for the re-release premiere of E.T. This featurette gives us a behind the scenes look at this presentation.
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- Special Olympics TV spot
- Designs, Photographs and Marketing
- UltraViolet™: The revolutionary new way for consumers to collect movies and TV shows, store them in the cloud, and instantly stream and download to computers, tablets and smartphones. Consumers can now truly enjoy their movies anytime, anywhere on the platform of their choice. Currently available in the United States only.
- Digital Copy: The Blu-ray™ Combo Pack includes a digital copy of the film compatible with iTunes®, iPad®, iPhone®, iPod™, iPod™ touch, Android or online retail partners.
- pocket BLU™ App: The popular free pocket BLU™ app for smartphones is now even better with newly updated versions for iPad®, Android™ tablets, PC and Macintosh computers, with features made especially to take advantage of the devices’ larger screens and high resolution displays.
- BD-LIVE™: Access the BD-Live™ Center through your Internet-connected player to access the latest trailers, exclusive content and more!
BONUS FEATURES ON THE DVD:
- Steven Spielberg & E.T.
- Deleted Scenes
- A Look Back
* We did not receive monetary compensation for this review. Tee received the Combo Pack from PR free of charge to facilitate this review. The review is in our own words and is our opinion. Blu-ray stats taken from press release. Your results and opinions may differ.