Move over Pokemon Go, Nintendo is bringing Mario to the mobile gaming platform.
On December 15th, Super Mario Run will be available for download on your mobile device. It seems that it will be Free To Play (F2P), Free To Start game, but you will have to unlock the full functionality of the game with a single in-app purchase of $9.99.
Anyone that grew up playing Mario games on a Nintendo should be familiar with the classic graphics, gameplay and sounds of this side-scroller. The controls are a bit different, simplified for mobile devices, but the the gameplay elements are pretty much the same.
It’s the one Mario game that can be played with one hand, as Mario constantly moves forward through the course. You can tap to short jump or tap and hold to jump higher. Depending on the timing of your taps, Mario will behave differently showing off his smooth moves, collecting coins, pounding Koopas, flattening Goombas, avoiding Piranha Plants, reaching the goal and defeating Bowser.
There are three game modes to play:
• Run and jump with style to rescue Princess Peach from Bowser’s clutches!
• Travel through plains, caverns, haunted houses, airships, castles, and more.
• Clear 6 Worlds (1-1 to 6-4) filled with 24 brand-new courses designed for one-handed play!
• Show off Mario’s stylish moves, compete against your friends and challenge people from all over the world.
• A challenge mode where the competition differs each time you play.
• Compete against the stylish moves of other players for the highest score as you gather coins and get cheered on by a crowd of Toads. If you’re impressive enough, the Toads may even come live in your kingdom.
• Perform stylish moves to fill up your gauge and launch into Coin Rush!
*In order to play Toad Rally, you will need Rally Tickets that you can acquire in a variety of ways, such as clearing worlds or through bonus games in your kingdom.
• Gather coins and Toads to build your very own kingdom.
• Create your unique kingdom with buildings and decorations that you acquire with the help of Toads gathered in Toad Rally.
• There are over 100 kinds of items in the Kingdom Builder feature!
Not sure what the extent of the F2P features will be before you will have to pay the $9.99, but at least it is a one-time purchase. You won’t have to worry about any other in-app purchase to get other items, power-ups, coins, etc. to get ahead.
Classic enemies, like Koopas, Goombas, Piranha Plants and Bowser are in the game. Not sure if Bomb-omb, Shy Guy, Bullet Bill, Boo and more characters will appear in the other courses. The Super Mushroom and Super Star will be useful power ups to help get through the courses.
This is the first time Mario will be hitting mobile device platforms. Apple users will be the first to experience the game first-hand on iOS, exclusively, before Android users. There is no set release date for Android devices at this time.
Check out the game trailers below for a preview of the game play.
I’ve been playing Mario and Nintendo games since the first time they came out in the arcades. I cannot wait to be able to play this game on my iPhone, since I’m always playing games on it.
Super Mario Run will be available on iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Rated 4+.
Visit supermariorun.com for updates, information and details.