The Power Rangers have seen a huge resurgence in popularity in recent years that has not been seen since the 1990’s. So big, that they are returning to the big screen in a feature film on March 24, 2017.
Images of the new suits were released earlier this year, to very mixed reviews by fans that leaned toward the negative side. The suits in the movie look more like Iron Man’s armor than the classic Power Ranger suits from the television series. Even the costume for Rita Repulsa (played by Elizabeth Banks) has been given a huge makeover.
The Power Rangers just wouldn’t be the Power Rangers without their mechanized vehicles. So their Zords will definitely be in the movie. We only get a small peek of what they look like in the movie teaser posters that were also released a few months ago. Only a couple things those posters reveal:
– Red Ranger Tyrannosaur Zord looks like a Tyrannosaur still.
– Blue Ranger Triceratops Zord looks similar in shape to the original.
– Black, Yellow and Pink Ranger Zords look quite a bit different.
– The Zords seem pretty huge, judging from the size of the Rangers standing atop them in the posters.
A couple pics of the toys have been released online and I have to admit that I am a little disappointed with the redesigned Megazord… if that truly is the Megazord being used in the film. It looks more like a Transformer than the familiar form of a Megazord that appears in the television series. The toy of the Tyrannosaur Zord and the new Morpher doesn’t look too bad, and the coins look like they light up in the Morpher. You can view and pre-order some of the toys at Ranger Nation.
The first trailer for the movie came out in October and does reveal a bit more about the movie and how different it is from the original series.
– The setting of the movie and town of Angel Grove look a bit darker.
– Jason and Kimberly are shown kissing in the trailer, which leads to believe that they will be couple.
– Rita Repulsa says she has killed Rangers before, so these are not the first Rangers.
– They have abilities even without transforming into the Ranger suits.
The actors playing Zordon, Rita Repulsa and Alpha 5 are instantly recognizable names. But of the actors in the roles of the Rangers I only recognize one, Naomi Scott. She starred in the hit Disney Movie, Lemonade Mouth on the Disney Channel.
Saban’s Power Rangers stars:
• Red Ranger/Jason – Dacre Montgomery
• Pink Ranger/Kimberly – Naomi Scott
• Blue Ranger/Billy – RJ Cyler
• Yellow Ranger/Trini – Becky G
• Black Ranger/Zack – Ludi Lin
• Zordon – Bryan Cranston
• Rita Repulsa – Elizabeth Banks
• Alpha 5 – Bill Hader
The villain Goldar and the Putty Patrol minions are said to be appearing in the movie. It has been reported that none of the original actors from the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers will be making an appearance in the movie.
Now, I’m more of a fan of the Super Sentai series which is the long-running Japanese series that Power Rangers originated from. Between 1975 and 1992 there were 15 other series that aired before Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger was adapted into Mighty Morphin Power Rangers for the U.S. in 1993. Himitsu Sentai Gorenger was the first series that aired in 1975 and the one I remember watching the most when I was a little kid. Even now, I still watch the Super Sentai series from Japan on YouTube or other sites. I have 2 favorite series, which are: Engine Sentai Go-onger and Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger. But I think the pirate themed Gokaiger was my most favorite. They could use keys that would allow them to transform into anyone from the other 34 Super Sentai teams. Plus it came out during the 35th Anniversary of the series.
So with all that being said, I’m still not sure how I feel about the new movie just yet. I think I can get past the new look of the suits, but I don’t think I can get past the pic of the Megazord toy. I wonder if a sixth Ranger will appear in the film, since every Power Ranger series had a mysterious sixth Ranger.
You can view the trailer to Saban’s Power Rangers below:
For more news and information, visit www.powerrangers.movie.