AUDIENCES TO EXPERIENCE
DISNEY’S “THE LION KING” LIKE NEVER BEFORE…
TWO FIRSTS FOR OSCAR®- AND GOLDEN GLOBE®-WINNING ANIMATED CLASSIC:
Available now on Disney Blu-ray™ Hi-Def and Blu-ray 3D™ for the First Time Ever
OUR THOUGHTS: I’m sure Lion King is one of Disney’s most popular movies. Can you believe that I only saw the award winning film for the first time this year? I attended the premiere of the 3D version at D23 with my daughter. This majestic and entertaining movie did not disappoint. For the first time families can now enjoy Lion King on Disney Blu-ray™ Hi-Def and Blu-ray 3D™ in the comforts of their own home.
The storyline following Simba finding his way through the circle life is breathtaking. The movie is rated G but I do feel that the movie is best suited for kids 6 and up. Some scenes are scary and the stampede of wildebeest trampling scene can be upsetting for younger children. The hyenas are hysterical but my four-year-old found them to be a little “yucky”. The animation is colorful and eye popping. My favorite characters are definitely Timon and Pumbaa. Recent animated movies do a decent job at throwing in some humor for mom and dad. And let’s not forget the award-winning music! My daughter’s favorite song is of course “Hakuna Matata.”
Families can share this story of courage, friendship and nature over and over on their family movie nights. I wanted to watch the 2D version from this set since I saw it in 3D. I actually prefer the 2D and not wearing the glasses. Maybe I’m just old school.
There are so many memorable quotes from this movie. One of mine is:
Pumbaa: It’s our motto.
Young Simba: What’s a motto?
Timon: Nothing. What’s a motto with you?
One of my favorite moments is when Zazu sings Scar a song: “It’s a small world after all. No, no! Anything but that! I’ve got a lovely bunch of cocunuts” That’s the best!!
ABOUT: An unforgettable story, breathtaking animation, beloved characters and award-winning music sets thestage for “The Lion King”, a Disney classic that follows the adventures of Simba, the feisty lion cub who “just can’t wait to be king.” But his envious Uncle Scar has plans for his own ascent to the throne, and he forces Simba’s exile from the kingdom. Alone and adrift, Simba soon joins the escapades of a hilarious meerkat named Timon and his warmhearted warthog pal, Pumbaa. Adopting their carefree lifestyle of “Hakuna Matata,” Simba ignores his real responsibilities until he realizes his destiny and returns to the Pride Lands to claim his place in the “Circle of Life.” The all-star vocal talents—including Matthew Broderick, Nathan Lane, Whoopi Goldberg, James Earl Jones, Jeremy Irons, Ernie Sabella, Jonathan Taylor Thomas, Robert Guillaume, Cheech Marin and Moira Kelly—rip-roaring comedy and uplifting messages of courage, loyalty and hope make this a timeless tale for all ages. Produced by Don Hahn and directed by Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff from a script by Irene Mecchi, Jonathan Roberts and Linda Woolverton, “The Lion King” is rated G by the MPAA.
“‘The Lion King’ is the best-selling home entertainment release of all time—and this is ‘The Lion King’ like never before,” said Bob Chapek, president of distribution, The Walt Disney Studios. “The all-new 3D format immerses viewers in the epic settings and puts them face-to-face with these beloved characters. We’re showcasing one of the all-time favorite Disney movies in theaters and making it available in Blu-ray hi-def and in Blu-ray 3D—it’s the must-see, must-own title for everyone.”
Nearly a decade since “The Lion King” last appeared on the big screen, the upcoming theatrical release invites new generations into the “Circle of Life.” The two-week, 3D-only presentation is a planned wide domestic release—the biggest since the film’s 1994 debut—and the film’s first-ever 3D release.
The Blu-ray debut marks the first time “The Lion King” has been available in any form since 2004. Featuring pristine high definition picture and sound, the Blu-ray creates an incredible at-home experience with a host of picture and sound enhancements, interactive features and bonus content, including a new set of hilarious animated bloopers.
“The Lion King”: Diamond Edition home entertainment release will be available from the Disney Vault for a limited time only beginning October 4 as follows:
• 4-Disc Blu-ray Combo Pack (for the suggested retail price of $49.99 U.S./ $56.99 Canada)
“The Lion King” = Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray 2D + DVD + Digital Copy™
• 2-Disc Blu-ray Combo Pack (for the suggested retail price of $39.99 U.S./$46.99 Canada)
“The Lion King” = Blu-ray 2D + DVD
• 8-Disc Trilogy (for the suggested retail price of $100.00 U.S./ $115.00 Canada)
“The Lion King” = Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray 2D + DVD + Digital Copy
The Lion King 1 1/2” = Blu-ray 2D + DVD
The Lion King II: Simba’s Pride” = Blu-ray 2D + DVD
And the one-disc DVD Edition will be available on November 15.
“The Lion King,” first released in 1994, won the Oscar® for Best Original Score (Hans Zimmer) and Best Original Song (Elton John/Tim Rice “Can You Feel the Love Tonight”), earning Golden Globes® in both categories, as well as for Best Motion Picture—Comedy or Musical.
The film inspired an immensely popular, Tony Award®-winning Broadway musical, which is currently featured on stages worldwide. It became the seventh longest-running musical in Broadway history in January 2011.
More info can be found here: http://disney.go.com/lionking
GIVEAWAY: One (1) That’s IT Mommy reader will receive The Lion King Blu-ray combo pack! This giveaway is open to US residents only (18+). Ends 10/26/11.
REQUIRED MAIN ENTRY: To enter, tell us who your favorite Lion King character is or your favorite moment from this movie! Leave your comment in the reply box below this post. That’s IT!
Remember if this REQUIRED ENTRY is not followed then no other entries will count.
Optional Bonus Entries – All entries MUST BE in a separate comment. All are worth 1 point unless otherwise noted.
- Like The Lion King on Facebook
- Follow Disney Animation on Twitter
- Subscribe to our e-newsletter (or tell us that you already do)
- “Like” us on Facebook (let us know who you are)
- Follow us on Twitter (leave us your twitter ID)
- Grab our button on the right sidebar and post on your website (leave the link) (3 extra – 3 comments #1, #2, #3)
- Follow us on Networked Blogs
- Follow us on GFC (sidebar)
- Enter another one of our current giveaways (3 extra – 3 separate comments #1, #2, #3) Feel free to enter any of our giveaways that interest you, but you will receive a maximum of three extra entries only, no matter how many of our other giveaways you enter
- Leave a comment on any non giveaway post and let us know you did (2 extra – 2 separate comments #1, #2)
- Tweet about this giveaway (Copy – I entered to #Win The Lion King on Blu-ray Combo Pack! via @thatsitmommy @DisneyAnimations http://thatsitmommy.com/?p=17327 #giveaway) come back daily and leave us the link to the tweet (1 extra/day)
*This giveaway will run through midnight on Oct. 26, 2011 (PST). Winner will be chosen using Random.org from all valid entries and notified via email. Winner will have 48 hours to contact us before another winner is chosen. Giveaway is open to U.S. (18+) residents only.
* We did not receive monetary compensation for this review. That’s IT Mommy received a from THE LION KING: Diamond Ed on Blu-ray Combo Pack free of charge from Walk Disney facilitate this review. Giveaway item will be provided by sponsor. Sponsor has the right to refuse filling prize for duplicate winners from other blogs. This will in no way sway our opinion of the product or service. The review is in our own words and is our opinion. Your results and opinions may differ.