Do your kids love ride-on toys? Do you love toys that rely on kid-power as an energy source? You have to check out PlasmaCar! PlasmaCar is a non-traditional plastic ride-on toy created by a Canadian company called PlaSmart. It doesn’t use batteries, fuel or pedals. The toy runs on the children’s ability to wiggle the steering wheel from side to side.
Teagan received the PlasmaCar ($69.95) in red (there are a total of 6 colors) and she couldn’t wait for daddy to put it together. The car is lightweight and easy to assemble. But we didn’t have all of the tools that were called for in the instructions (rubber mallet). Dad improvised and within minutes we were outside testing out the PlasmaCar. The toy works best on a smooth, flat surface (indoor or out). Initially, Teagan’s instinct was to turn the wheel around which doesn’t move that car at all. Wiggling the steering wheel from side to side propels the PlasmaCar.
How does it work? www.plasmacar.com states: “The PlasmaCar harnesses the natural forces of inertia, centrifugal force and friction. Simply turn the steering wheel, and away you go!” I suggest that children wear a helmet. Teagan did fall off a couple of times while she was learning how to maneuver the PlasmaCar.
The recommended age for a PlasmaCar is 3+ and the car holds up 220 lbs. Teagan and her friend rode tandem. Everyone has commented on the PlasmaCar’s innovative looks and performance. My husband and I are really impressed and have watched numerous YouTube videos of kids doing tricks on the PlasmaCar. For now Teagan enjoys riding the PlasmaCar down our driveway. There is an incline and rushing down the driveway is such a thrill! You know a toy is a hit when every neighborhood kid wants to take a turn.
The PlasmaCar has gotten much recognition over the years. Here is a partial list of the awards the PlasmaCar has won:
# 2009: Voted #1 Top Spring and Summer Kids Essentials by disneyfamily.com
# 2009: National Parenting Center, Seal of Approval
# 2008: iParenting Media Toy Award in the Toy Category
# 2008: Fat Brain Toy Award in the Active Play Category
Summer has been a great time to enjoy the PlasmaCar. Teagan’s friends ask to play with it on a daily basis! Longer days mean more time outdoors and more time for the PlasmaCar!
GIVEAWAY: PlaSmart is generously offering one (1) That’s IT Mommy reader their own PlasmaCar!!
REQUIRED ENTRY – Visit http://www.plasmacar.com and tell us something NEW you learned about PlasmaCar AND tell us who would you give it to if you won? (leave a comment in the reply box below this post).
(Remember if this MAIN ENTRY is not followed then no other entries will count)
Bonus Entries – Leave each extra entry in a separate comment.
- Follow PlaSmart on Twitter (1 extra)
- Find PlaSmart on Facebook and tell them you you entered to win a PlasmaCar at That’s It Mommy! (2 extra – 2 comments #1, #2)
- Subscribe to our RSS Feed or email (or tell us that you already do) (1 extra)
- Find us on Facebook (let us know who you are) (1 extra)
- Follow us on Twitter (leave us your twitter ID) (1 extra)
- Blog about this giveaway (leave the link) (2 extra – 2 comments #1, #2)
- Follow us on Networked Blogs (1 extra)
- Enter another one of our current giveaways (3 extra – 3 separate comments #1, #2, #3)
- Tweet about this giveaway (Copy – I entered to win a cool PlasmaCar via @thatsitmommy http://wp.me/pAWsG-1el @PlaSmart #giveaway) come back daily and leave us the link to the tweet (1 extra)
This giveaway will run through midnight on July 23 2010 (PST) with winner being announced sometime on or before July 25, 2010 (PST). Winner will be chosen using Random.org from all valid entries and notified via email. Winner will have 48 hours to contact us before another winner is chosen. Giveaway is open to U.S. (18+) residents only.
* We did not receive monetary compensation for this review. That’s IT Mommy received a PlasmaCar to facilitate this review. This will in no way sway our opinion of the product or service. The review is in our own words and is our opinion. Your results and opinions may differ.