My 7-year-old did a whole semester-long study of penguins in school this year and has really developed a love of and appreciation for the cute little creatures. So she (and all of us, actually!) were pretty excited when we got the opportunity to review the Game Pengoloo. Pengoloo, by Blue Orange Games, is a clever memory game in which you roll two multicolored dice and lift two wooden penguins to find the matching hidden eggs. If you’re the first to collect six penguins with your eggs on your iceberg, you win! Memory is key in this game—you’ve got to pay attention and remember where you saw which colored eggs! Recommended for ages 4 and up, both of my older girls got the hang of it easily, and my 3-year-old grew to love it as well with some help and encouragement to get her started. Aside from being adorable, well-crafted and sturdy, Pengoloo also teaches color recognition, visualization, and memory skills. Placing the 12 cute wooden penguins in order reinforces number association as well, which was a bonus for my preschooler. The twist is that you can re-find the eggs that are already found to get additional turns, and when playing with just my two older girls, we used the advanced rule option, which allows players to steal eggs from each other.
Any way you look at it, the fun of Pengoloo is equally matched by its educational value. We’ve used it quite a few times already, and the wooden pieces still look brand new despite the wear and tear that three children can enforce upon any given object. The game incudes, along with the 12 wooden penguins: 12 colored penguin eggs, 4 iceberg scoring boards, and 2 colored dice. The best part of Pengoloo, however, comes from the company that makes it: Blue Orange plants two trees for every tree used to produce their games. They only use durable, eco-friendly materials in crafting all of their games and have earned numerous awards. You can read more about them and their wonderful products at www.blueorangegames.com.
Play this game with your family in the confidence that you are buying from a trustworthy company that cares about the future of our children and the planet as well, while also recognizing the need for good, quality family time.
BUY IT: Pengoloo retails for $21.99 and is a great buy for the entire family; you just can’t resist those silly penguin faces and the skill it takes to be the first to fill your iceberg!
GIVEAWAY: One (1) That’s IT Mommy reader will receive Pengaloo courtesy of their PR firm! This giveaway is open to US residents only (18+). Ends 6/28/12.
REQUIRED MAIN ENTRY: To enter, visit Blue Orange Games and tell us another game you’d like to try and who you’d play with. Leave your comment in the reply box below this post. That’s IT!
Remember if this REQUIRED ENTRY is not followed then no other entries will count.
Optional Bonus Entries – All entries MUST BE in a separate comment. All are worth 1 point unless otherwise noted.
- Like Blue Orange Games on Facebook
- Follow Blue Orange Games on Twitter
- Subscribe to our e-newsletter (or tell us that you already do)
- “Like” us on Facebook (let us know who you are)
- Follow us on Twitter (leave us your twitter ID)
- Follow us on Pinterest
- Grab our button on the right sidebar and post on your website (leave the link) (3 extra – 3 comments #1, #2, #3)
- Follow us on Networked Blogs
- Enter another one of our current giveaways (3 extra – 3 separate comments #1, #2, #3) Feel free to enter any of our giveaways that interest you, but you will receive a maximum of three extra entries only, no matter how many of our other giveaways you enter
- Leave a comment on any non giveaway post and let us know you did (2 extra – 2 separate comments #1, #2)
- Tweet about this giveaway (Copy – #Win Pengaloo via @BlueOrangeGames and @ThatsITmommy http://thatsitmommy.com/?p=24701 #games #giveaway ) come back daily and leave us the link to the tweet (1 extra/day)
*This giveaway will run through midnight on June 28, 2012 (PST). Winner will be chosen using Random.org from all valid entries and notified via email. Winner will have 48 hours to contact us before another winner is chosen. Giveaway is open to U.S. (18+) residents only.
* We did not receive monetary compensation for this review. That’s IT Mommy received Pengaloo from Blue Orange Games free of charge to facilitate this review. Giveaway item will be provided by sponsor. Sponsor has the right to refuse filling prize for duplicate winners from other blogs. This will in no way sway our opinion of the product or service. The review is in our own words and is our opinion. Your results and opinions may differ.