We live several miles away from the Museum of Natural History in NYC, so we know dinosaur bones. But then we were invited to meet some dinosaurs in Secaucus, New Jersey and my three-year-old son’s life has not been the same. All he wants to talk about is his trip to what he calls “Station Dinosaur.”
Field Station: Dinosaur in the New Jersey Meadowlands is a must-see-destinations for dinosaur lovers. It’s a twenty acre wooded park with walking trails and pathways that families can follow to discover more than 30 life-sized dinosaur replicas, see dinosaur shows, play dinosaur game shows and dig for dinosaur fossils.
Unfortunately the weather was stormy during our visit, so we donned rain ponchos (provided by Field Station: Dinosaurs) and got a little wet as we toured the park. My five year old was instantly in love once she realized that the automated dinosaurs reacted to both her physical and vocal presence. She would run up and roar at the large dinosaurs and wait for their eyes to follow her, their tails to swing and a response roar to come. My three-year-old dinosaur hunter was bit less aggressive from his position wrapped around my leg and peeping out curiously and frequently.
My favorite was the Argentinosaurus, a ninety-foot-long dinosaur that swings its gigantic tail over the walking path so that visitors have to duck to avoid its slow, swooping motion.
Eventually the sun did come out and the regularly scheduled shows were able to go on. We loved the “T-Rex Feeding” and “Dinosaur Meet & Greet” shows in the outdoor amphitheater. Using puppets and lots of theatrics by the host and dinosaur handlers, the kids truly felt like they were getting to interact with real live dinosaurs. It was fantastic and one of the highlights of our visit.
Due to the rain, the Fossil Dig Site was closed on our first visit. But by our second loop the rain stopped and the sun came out, so it was open for digging. It was only the third week in operation, so there were a couple of hiccups. The area was understaffed and there weren’t enough digging tools for the children. Thankfully my little ones used their hands so it all turned out fine. We were told there were plaster cast fossils in the large sand pit for our junior palentologists to discover.
Park hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekends until June 19. Hours June 20 to Sept. 4 are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily. For advance tickets and more information, visit www.fieldstationdinosaurs.com or call (855) 999-9010. Ticket prices on-line and by phone are $20 for adults and $17.50 for kids (12 and under) and seniors. Tickets at the box office are $25 for adults and $20 for kids (12 and under) and seniors. Children two years old and under are free.
GIVEAWAY: One (1) That’s IT Mommy reader will receive 2 tickets to see Field Station: Dinosaur in New Jersey courtesy of their PR agency! This giveaway is open to US residents only (18+). Ends 6/28/12.
REQUIRED MAIN ENTRY: To enter, visit Field Station: Dinosaurs and tell us the dinosaur you’d most like to meet. Leave your comment in the reply box below this post. That’s IT!
Remember if this REQUIRED ENTRY is not followed then no other entries will count.
Optional Bonus Entries – All entries MUST BE in a separate comment. All are worth 1 point unless otherwise noted.
- Subscribe to our e-newsletter (or tell us that you already do)
- “Like” us on Facebook (let us know who you are)
- Follow us on Twitter (leave us your twitter ID)
- Follow us on Pinterest
- Grab our button on the right sidebar and post on your website (leave the link) (3 extra – 3 comments #1, #2, #3)
- Follow us on Networked Blogs
- Enter another one of our current giveaways (3 extra – 3 separate comments #1, #2, #3) Feel free to enter any of our giveaways that interest you, but you will receive a maximum of three extra entries only, no matter how many of our other giveaways you enter
- Leave a comment on any non giveaway post and let us know you did (2 extra – 2 separate comments #1, #2)
- Tweet about this giveaway (Copy – #Win Tickets to see Field Station: Dinosaurs in New Jersey via @ThatsITmommy http://thatsitmommy.com/?p=24701 #giveaway ) come back daily and leave us the link to the tweet (1 extra/day)
*This giveaway will run through midnight on June 28, 2012 (PST). Winner will be chosen using Random.org from all valid entries and notified via email. Winner will have 48 hours to contact us before another winner is chosen. Giveaway is open to U.S. (18+) residents only.
* We did not receive monetary compensation for this review. That’s IT Mommy received tickets to attend Field Station: Dinosaurs free of charge to facilitate this review. Giveaway item will be provided by sponsor. Sponsor has the right to refuse filling prize for duplicate winners from other blogs. This will in no way sway our opinion of the product or service. The review is in our own words and is our opinion. Your results and opinions may differ.