Subscription/mystery boxes have been around for years, but they seem to be growing in popularity. The contents of these boxes are a mystery until they are received and opened. They usually ship monthly or bi-monthly, depending on the service or company. Some of the contents within the boxes revolve around a theme. These are a few of the more popular, newest and fun boxes out there:
• SMUGGLER’S BOUNTY. StarWars.com and Funko have teamed up to create this new subscription box. The only OFFICIAL Star Wars subscription box featuring 100% exclusive collectibles, apparel and accessories from the Star Wars universe. The debut box will be shipping in November and entitled Star Wars: The Force Awakens. This box will ship out every other month.
The first box will contain TWO exclusive Pop! vinyl bobbleheads from the upcoming film Star Wars: The Force Awakens, as well as other Star Wars-themed surprise items. Each box will cost $25 (items valued at over $50) with two member levels available: Pirate (monthly plan) and Boss (annual plan which includes a mystery reward upon completing one year in the program). www.smugglersbounty.com
• DISNEY TSUM TSUM SUBSCRIPTION. Disney is starting a subscription box that features their popular Tsum Tsum line. The only details known at this time about the box is that it will feature: One small plush and one coordinating Subscription Exclusive mini plush every month for $24.95. Boxes are limited to two per person. It is not yet known when this service will start. www.disneystore.com/tsum-tsum-subscription/mn/1029722
• MARVEL COLLECTOR CORPS. Marvel and Funko started this subscription box back in April 2015. Each featuring 100% exclusive collectibles, apparel and accessories from some of the biggest events in Marvel movie and comic book universe. This box ships out every two months.
Boxes contain a T-shirt, collectible pin and patch, variant comic book cover, exclusive Marvel Pop! vinyl bobblehead and some may include other premium items. Previous boxes contained exclusive 6″ Iron Man Hulkbuster Pop! (April), Ant-Man Pop! (June), Secret Wars Thor and Miles Morales Spider-Man Pop! (August). Boxes are $25 (items valued at over $50) with two member levels available: Collector (monthly plan) and Founder (annual plan which includes an exclusive Founders Statue upon completing one year in the program). www.collectorcorps.com
• LOOT CRATE. Started in 2012 and one of the most popular and well-known of the themed mystery box services, Loot Crate has a subscriber base of over 400,000 Looters. These are shipped out monthly with contents containing geek, gaming and pop culture items.
Each box is a monthly theme, partnered with various brands and curated by the Loot Crate staff. Included with the great items is a collectible button and mini magazine. Previous Crates included an exclusive Funko Pop! bobbleheads, mini vinyl figures, T-shirts, prints, keychains, posters, hats and other cool items. Plans begin at $13.95 per month (1 and 3 month), $12.95 per month (6 month) and $11.95 per month (1 year, includes bonus gift).
• DISNEY PARK PACK. This is a monthly collector’s set box that features three Disney pins: Two Open Edition Pins and one Limited Edition Pin only available in the Disney Park Pack. Open Edition Pins will be available in Disney Parks after the release of the Pack Pack. Limited Edition Pin has four variants of a similar design or theme with a limited production run.
Pins are metal/enamel with custom backer card. The limited edition pins are part of a series and may include characters from animated features or attractions at Disney Parks. They will also have two embellishments (like pin-on-pin or special fills). Disney Park Pack costs $39.95 and must be purchased every month. There is no recurring subscription service and limited to 1 per person. www.disneystore.com/park-pack-from-disney-parks/mn/1025032
I have subscriptions to Loot Crate and Marvel Collector Corps, and plan on getting the Smuggler’s Bounty and maybe Tsum Tsum. I have been very happy with the Collector Corps and plan on renewing it for 2016. The Loot Crate ones have been hit-and-miss with the Crate items, with some of the Crates turning out really good and others not so great.
• PLAY! The newest subscription box by SEPHORA, just launched this September in a limited-release market. The box contains 6 deluxe samples, along with an exclusive PLAY! BOOK and PLAY! PASS all for $10. Product samples within the box are the same prestige brands carried in the store and online. Currently, the limited-release market covers Boston and Cincinnati/Columbus, with additional markets to be added later in 2015, before the full national launch in early 2016. www.sephora.com/play
• BIRCHBOX. They have boxes for both women and men: Beauty Box and Grooming Box. The sample items within are picked to match your profile or you can customize your shipment by picking a sample or adding subscriber-only product deals. In the Beauty Box you’ll find beauty products from all different categories, including makeup, skincare, haircare, and fragrance. While the Birchbox Man Grooming Box features top-shelf grooming samples from heritage-shave creams to woodsy cologne and a full-size product like a gadget, bar tool or stylish accessory. Birchbox subscription is $10 monthly/$110 yearly and Birchbox Man subscription is $20 monthly/$195 yearly. www.birchbox.com
• BRICKBOX. Each box contains an Authentic Brick set and at least one Minifigure. Other items that you may find in the box are custom tiles, stickers, surprise bags, T-shirt, custom accessories and other cool items that will always be higher in value than the price of the box. There are three different plans to choose from: Brickbox ($29.99-$329.99), Brickbox Mini ($19.99-$219.99) and Brickbox Loot ($13.99-$159.99). www.brickboxclub.com
• BRICK LOOT. Started by a kid, this box contains LEGO and Brick compatible products. Each monthly Brick Loot box is filled with 4-8 items that are unique and some never-seen-before. Three plans to choose from: $27 per month (1-month), $25 per month (3-month) and $23 per month (6-month). www.brickloot.com
• BRICKPAK. At least 6 mystery items in every box, which may include: LEGO sets, minifigures, Parts Packs, apparel, toys, stickers and more.Three plans to choose from: $29.95 per month (1-month), $27.95 per month (3-month) and $25.95 per month (6-month). www.brickpak.com
If I were really into LEGO kits I would probably get at least one of these. I do have a bunch of my old LEGO sets from when I was younger. The only ones that I have picked up recently are The Simpsons minifigures and a few from the Minifigure Series of blind bags. I do kinda want to get The Big Bang Theory and The Simpsons house sets.
If you’re into comics, than this box is for you:
• COMIC BENTO. At least $60 worth of comics and graphic novels from the biggest comic book publishers: Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, Image, IDW, Valiant, Boom!, Dynamite, Bongo, Archie and more. Three plans to choose from: $20 per month (1-month), $18.34 per month (3-month) and $17.50 per month (6-month). comicbento.com
This is something I would be interested in, if I were still in my comic collecting phase. During those times I would pick up a huge stack of books and titles to read every month. I still pick up an occasional graphic novel or issue when I go to a comic convention, but most of the stuff I read is digital now days.
There are a lot more fun subscription boxes out there, from food to Japanese anime and snacks. Just search online and you’ll find a lot more of them.