In celebration of St. Patty’s day, I decided to make Corned Beef and Cabbage at home. This is the recipe I came up with after coming across many variations of this traditional Irish/American meal. It was super easy, very tasty and a perfect Sunday meal.
- 3-4 lbs corned beef brisket (with spice packet)
- 1 32 oz conatiner beef broth
- 4 large carrots-peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 medium sized rutabaga peeled and cube
- 4 large potatoes (I like yukon gold)
- 1 small head of cabbage cut into small wedges
- 1 medium onion
Place corned beef in large pot or dutch oven and cover with beef broth (use water if the beef broth doesn’t cover the whole thing). Add spice packet. Cover pot and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 45 minutes per pound or until tender.
Add potatoes, carrots and rutabaga and cook until tender (about 30 minutes) add cabbage and cook for 10 more minutes. Pull the meat apart with a fork or slice it. Serve with vegetables and pour the broth over everything for flavor.
Happy St. Patricks Day!