When I say the word “turkey” what comes to mind? An unflattering description of someone, as in “don’t let the turkeys get you down”? More than likely, you think of Thanksgiving Dinner and that lovely, requisite bird that forms the centerpiece of the meal. While looking around for some healthy dinner ideas. I came across the Jennie-O Turkey Store website (www.jennieo.com) and was surprised to discover all of the different dishes you can make with turkey.
Since our family is trying to cut back on red meat, if only for the sake of variety, I started thinking of all of the meals I make with pork, lamb or beef that I could now make with turkey, from burgers to kabobs! I thought about making the Jennie-O Glazed Turkey Burgers which looked really good.
I hadn’t made Sloppy Joes in years though, so I gave the recipe for Jennie-O Spicy Sloppy Joes a try. They were so good with lots of flavor and tang. My kids loved them.
For our usual Saturday night grilling meal, I wanted to make the Jenny-O Grilled Turkey and Veggie Kabobs but my grocery store had had a run on Turkey Breast Tenderloin and was completely sold out. I’ll keep watching for it though because this recipe sounded so good with chunks of sweet potato, green onion, mushroom and a glaze of orange marmalade, Dijon mustard and crushed rosemary – Yum! Jennie-O ground turkey was on sale so I stocked up on that since the Sloppy Joes had turned out so well .I found another recipe for ground turkey on the Jennie-O website for Spicy Ground Turkey Kabobs with Tangy Yogurt Sauce (I was bound and determined to make kabobs that night).
It was easy, moist and tasty. I served it with a side of pita bread so we could make little mini-sandwiches out of the kabobs, sauce and bread. A Greek-style salad on the side and we had a great meal.
Would you love to give the Jennie-O Spicy Sloppy Joes a try? Here’s the recipe:
|Makes 5 servings||Prep time Under 15 minutes||Total time Under 30 minutes|
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package JENNIE-O TURKEY STORE® Lean Ground Turkey
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- salt, if desired
- 5 whole wheat buns, split
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Crumble turkey into skillet and cook as specified on the package. Always cook to well-done, 165˚F as measured by a meat thermometer. Add chili sauce, worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, hot pepper sauce, and salt, if desired. Simmer uncovered 10 to 15 minutes or until sauce thickens. Spoon mixture on split buns.
GIVEAWAY: Think of turkey in the most positive of ways when you are looking fresh meal ideas. To help you along, we have two, $5 off coupons for any Jennie-O Turkey Store product! TWO (2) That’s IT Mommy readers will win one $5 coupon each. This giveaway is open to US residents only (18+). Ends 5/14/12.
REQUIRED MAIN ENTRY: To enter, visit http://www.jennieo.com/recipes/ and tell us which recipe is your favorite! Leave your comment in the reply box below this post. That’s IT!
Remember if this REQUIRED ENTRY is not followed then no other entries will count.
Optional Bonus Entries – All entries MUST BE in a separate comment. All are worth 1 point unless otherwise noted.
- Like Jennie-O Turkey on Facebook
- Subscribe to our e-newsletter (or tell us that you already do)
- “Like” us on Facebook (let us know who you are)
- Follow us on Twitter (leave us your twitter ID)
- Follow us on Pinterest
- Grab our button on the right sidebar and post on your website (leave the link) (3 extra – 3 comments #1, #2, #3)
- Follow us on Networked Blogs
- Follow us on GFC (sidebar)
- Enter another one of our current giveaways (3 extra – 3 separate comments #1, #2, #3) Feel free to enter any of our giveaways that interest you, but you will receive a maximum of three extra entries only, no matter how many of our other giveaways you enter
- Leave a comment on any non giveaway post and let us know you did (2 extra – 2 separate comments #1, #2)
- Tweet about this giveaway (Copy – Two #Winners will receive $5 off coupons towards any Jennie-O Turkey Store product@thatsitmommy http://thatsitmommy.com/?p=24581 #giveaway) come back daily and leave us the link to the tweet (1 extra/day)
*This giveaway will run through midnight on July 12, 2012 (PST). Winner will be chosen using Random.org from all valid entries and notified via email. Winner will have 48 hours to contact us before another winner is chosen. Giveaway is open to U.S. (18+) residents only.
* We did not receive monetary compensation for this review. That’s IT Mommy received (fill in product) from (company name) free of charge to facilitate this review. Giveaway item will be provided by sponsor. Sponsor has the right to refuse filling prize for duplicate winners from other blogs. This will in no way sway our opinion of the product or service. The review is in our own words and is our opinion. Your results and opinions may differ.