Did You Know: In the 1930s Walter Knott harvested the boysenberry, a cross between a loganberry, red raspberry and blackberry then named the new berry after its originator Rudolph Boysen. Today, all boysenberries in the world can trace their roots back to Knott’s Berry Farm.
Foodies (of all ages) unite at Knott’s Berry Farm’s Boysenberry Festival to honor the delicious boysenberry! From March 28-April 12 Knott’s will feature delectable food, fabulous live entertainment as well as all of the fabulous, thrilling rides and attractions that we all love!
What’s in store for you?
- Knott’s will debut it’s own farm-made Berry Market™ Boysenberry BBQ Sauce during the festival!
- During the food fest, the tangy, finger lickin’ good sauce will add the perfect flavor to ribs, BBQ chicken, chicken wings, and more. Other must try Boysenberry Bites include fried cheese curds paired with a spicy boysenberry dipping sauce, fish and chips sandwich with boysenberry tartar sauce, Boysenberry ICEE Floats, Boysenberry Frappuccino and Latte (served at the new Gourmet Coffee Hut which proudly serves Starbucks drinks), and more charbroiled treats cooked on open-air barbecues throughout the streets of the festival.
- Walter & Cordelia Knott’s Original Roadside Boysenberry Stand will be recreated for the special event,
from which guests can purchase authentic boysenberry plants. The Knott family sold freshly picked boysenberries from the original stand, and the rest, as they say, is history.
- Parents! Wine and Craft Brew Garden, located inside of Ghost Town’s Wilderness Dance Hall, will feature an assortment of wine and craft brew labels, in addition to a variety of boysenberry inspired gourmet food that’s just bursting with flavor. Just outside of the Dance Hall, towering sculpted topiaries provide shade during warm spring days and twinkle brighter than stars at night.
- The Boysenberry Festival also features an extensive line up of live entertainment from sun up to sun down. At the heart of all of the excitement is Birdcage Square, located in front of the famous Birdcage Theatre. Here, a stage will be set for daily contests like pie eating, a pie walk, and Grandpa’s Boysenberry PJs Contest, where guests will race to stuff the oversized long johns with balloons. In the evening, the Square will have guests kicking up their heels with vine dancing, a down home jug band and dueling fiddlers and banjos! At night, just inside of the Birdcage Theatre, things get krazy when Krazy Kirk and the Hillbillies mount their toe tappin’, knee-slappin’, gut-bustin’ country comedy show that will have audiences clamoring for more!
- New for 2015, right up the road from Birdcage Square, kids can join the classic Bear-y Tales characters in their very own pie making kitchen inside of Ghost Town’s Craft Barn. With the help of Razz Bear-y, Boysen Bear-y and the other Bear-y family members, each beautifully painted scene will follow the world famous boysenberry from field to blue ribbon winning pie! The pint sized chefs can also make their very own delightfully sweet boysenberry
tarts complete with a crumble topping.
Now, that’s just a sampling of all the awesomeness available during the festival!! I can’t wait to celebrate Spring with all the food and family fun offered at Knott’s. The festival is included in price of admission but there are extra costs for tart making and food sampling. See you there!
* The opinions in this article are my own. I do not work for, or with, any brand mentioned in this article, nor do I have any official relationship with them. I have a relationship with GigaSavvy, for whom I create editorial content. Giveaway prize will be fulfilled by sponsor and can only be used during the Boysenberry Festival.