It’s not easy being an ordinary couple in suburbia, especially when a gorgeous, accomplished, and stylish couple (the Jones are played by Jon Hamm and Gal Gadot) move into your cul-de-sac. Keeping up with the Joneses is what their neighbors the Gaffney’s try to do. But Karen Gaffney (Isla Fisher) becomes suspicious of the Joneses activities. Meanwhile her husband Jeff (Zach Galifianakis) is desperate to make friends with the new neighbors and dreams of sky-diving with his new foodie pal, Tim Jones.
Imagine Mr. and Mrs. Smith where the two live a secretive life, but the Joneses work for the same organization. While Keeping Up With The Joneses does have action sequences it’s definitely a slap-stick comedy (and appropriate for kids 13+).
The movie is funny, and Isla Fisher steals the show. She is adorable and insanely funny. Also, Gal Gadot shows her comedic side, but all I see is a stoic superhero (we’ll save that movie for another day)
I thought the movie had some fun advice that couples can walk away with. Here are some of my favorites:
1) Tim Jones confides in Jeff that he doesn’t love his job. Natalie finds out when Jeff slips up, and mentions this during an impromptu lunch date. This reminds me that communication is key in any relationship, even if you are a spy. Natalie is upset that Tim was keeping this information from her, and he confides that she is not the easiest person to open up to.
2) Natalie tells Karen that she buys lingerie to keep her marriage interesting. First, I will never look like Gal Gadot in anything I wear but she has a point. Make sure to keep things fresh and exciting in your marriage. It doesn’t have to be lingerie, but find “your thing”‘ as Natalie puts it. I think as parents we lose the spontaneity we had before kids.
3) Women’s Intuition – follow your gut! Karen is suspicious early on that something was off with her new neighbors. She follows her gut and knows something is off. Jeff tries to ignore it until they both break into the Joneses house to reveal the truth. See woman are always right.
4) Don’t wear white after Labor Day? How about don’t wear a sexy white dress to your neighbor’s BBQ. You will stand out like a sore thumb, and all of the other wives will be giving you the side-eye.
5) Trying exotic food for the first time with your new foodie friends? Try to stay sober. You could wind up an extremely embarrassing situation if you don’t.
6) When your kids are away, make time for each other or plan monthly date nights! The Gaffney’s send their kids off to summer camp, and they seem lost – don’t stay home watching shows you recorded, dress up and head out for a romantic night out!
7) Never, ever leave your wife behind, especially when you are in the middle of a dangerous espionage situation. Most situations can be solved when you’re both on the same page.
8) “You kinda throw like a girl, but when the girl is as beautiful as you, she doesn’t have to be good.” Dan Craverston, a neighbor shares his sentiments with Natalie Jones during a party. He boasts about being a dart champion. Haven’t men learned yet that “girls” can do anything they can do, and maybe even better? Mrs. Jones shows him up with a smile after three consecutive bullseyes, “maybe I should show you how to throw like a girl.” BURN! Leave your egotistical, sexist comments where they belong – no where!!
9) Don’t judge a book by its cover – Beautiful people are humans too, and have problems like the rest of us ordinary folk.
I attended the premiere for the film on the Fox Lot. Guests celebrated Oktoberfest style, and mixed with celebs. The stars of the show were in attendance, as well as Sasha Baron Kohen, Larry David, Martin Short and Jack McBryer to name a few. We also met Gal Gadot who was wearing a slick gold and silver sparkling dress. Fabulous!!
Plan your date night, or girls’ night out for October 21 when Keeping up with the Joneses comes to theaters nationwide.