Summer means time to stock up on the sunblock. Longer days, stronger sun and rising temperatures mean more sun exposure for both kids and adults. There are so many to choose from that it can get overwhelming. Then you have to think about the unwanted chemicals that you are also exposing yourself and especially your little ones to. Reading the labels really doesn’t help unless you have a degree in chemistry or chemical guidebook handy to decipher the ingredients!
I came across a company called Smart Girls Who Surf. They make broad spectrum sunblock which means they protect against both UVA and UVB rays and use all natural ingredients. Recently, the Food and Drug Administration implemented long over-due rules governing the ingredients, labeling, and testing of many sunscreens which claim to protect skin from both the sun’s UVB rays, which cause sunburn, and more importantly, UVA rays which cause more serious long-term damage such as aging of the skin and skin cancer. Smart Girls who Surf is a broad spectrum line of sunblock that meets these new standards.
Smart Girls who surf is not just for girls or surfers and they even have a kids line called Smart Kids who play. The Smart Girls who surf line are all completely natural, loaded with antioxidants, chemical free, water-resistant and won’t sting your eyes. Products include: SGWS SPF 30+, After Sun Lotion, Care for Hair, FanSea Face (tinted moisturizer with SPF), SPF 32 Face Sticks and Lip Balm. The Smart Kids Who Play products are free of active chemicals and all parabens. Products include: SPF 30+ SunBlock, SPF 32 Face Sticks, Lip Balm. They also have a mens line called surf vival.
We were sent a few items to try out and I am hooked. There is no white residue left on the skin which I have found can sometimes happen with zinc. Both the Smart Girls who Surf and the Smart Kids who play mineral sunblocks were easily applied and absorbed! I also got the face stick which I am dying to try out on my vacation to Fort Lauderdale this week! One thing that I love is the spray-on conditioner sunblock. It is so hard to put sunblock on your scalp without getting your hair all gross and this totally solves that problem. Spray on after shampooing to protect your scalp and hair. The Kids lipbalm has a great grape smell that my 3.5 year old loves! I actually have had to hide it from her because she loves it so much she is constantly applying it!
Smart Girls who surf proudly makes all their high quality products in the USA! The prices are comparable to most other sunblocks out there.
BUY IT: Prices range from $3.99 for the lipbalm to $16.50 for the blocks. There are also some really cool kits that you can purchase too! All products are available on their website.
GIVEAWAY: Smart Girls Who Surf are generously offering One (1) That’s IT Mommy reader A Sun Savvy Kit (pictured above) and a Smart Kids Who Play bundle (sunscreen, lip balm and face stick)-ARV $69-Ends 7/29/11 (US only)
MAIN ENTRY: Visit their website and tell us what other item(s) you like AND where you’ll be using them this summer (Must answer BOTH questions).
(Remember, if this MAIN ENTRY is not followed, then no other entries will count).
Bonus Entries – Leave each extra entry in a separate comment. Each entry is worth 1 point (unless noted).
- Like Smart Girls Who Surf on Facebook (let us know who you are)
- Follow Smart Girls Who Surf on Twitter
- Subscribe to our email newsletter (or tell us that you already do – 3 extra, #1, #2, #3)
- Like us on Facebook (let us know who you are)
- Follow us on Twitter (leave us your twitter ID)
- Follow us on GFC (sidebar)
- Grab our button on the right sidebar and post on your website (leave the link) (3 extra – 3 comments #1, #2, #3)
- Follow us on Networked Blogs
- Enter another one of our current giveaway (3 extra, #1, #2, #3) Feel free to enter any of our giveaways that interest you, but you will receive a maximum of three extra entries only, no matter how many of our other giveaways you enter
- Leave a comment on any non giveaway post on our site (tell us which one – 2 extra, #1, #2)
- Tweet about this giveaway daily: Summer is here! Enter to #WIN A Sun Savvy Kit and a Kids Bundle by @SGWSsun @thatsitmommy http://thatsitmommy.com/?p=14044 #giveaway
*This giveaway will run through midnight on July 29, 2011 (PST). Winner will be chosen using Random.org from all valid entries and notified via email. Winner will have 48 hours to contact us before another winner is chosen. Giveaway is open to U.S. (18+) residents only.
* We did not receive monetary compensation for this review. That’s IT Mommy did receive the products mentioned to facilitate this review. Giveaway item will be provided by sponsor. This will in no way sway our opinion of the product or service. The review is in our own words and is our opinion. Your results and opinions may differ.