Springtime in New York City brings manic weather. One day is sunny and 70 degrees and the next it could be snowing. My little family needed an activity to give us hope and look forward to the next big holiday so the Easter Grass kit from Spots and Ladybugs came just in time.
According to the makers, the Easter Grass-kit offers an eco-friendly, all-natural alternative to wasteful plastic grass. It’s a fun and educational activity for parent and child to enjoy together in anticipation of the holiday.
The Easter Grass-kit takes just three easy steps:
1. About one week before the holiday, place the starter disk in a bowl and cover with 3 cups of water. Magically, the disk will expand into fine dirt. [The disk is made of coconut coir (the outside husk of the coconut). It is rinsed in fresh water, dried, and then compressed into a disk.] My kids loved seeing the dirt disk expand with the water and took turns stirring it with a wooden spoon.
2. Place the soil into a lined Easter basket. We lined ours with tin foil and then took turns filling it up with our soil. My four year old has learned some gardening terminology in preschool and quickly informed me that is was to be called soil, not dirt from this point on. I grew up in the city so I don’t have the agricultural background to argue.
3. Sprinkle the seeds (provided) on top of the soil. Nature will take care of the rest. The seeds will sprout within 24-36 hours, and grow almost an inch a day. Each kit contains enough materials for two medium baskets.
We planted our seeds on Wednesday evening and celebrated the arrival of our grass sprouts on Saturday morning. By Sunday night, our basket is filled with grass about an inch or two high. I think we’ll need another couple of days for the sparse areas to fill in. We’ve had a fun time visiting our Easter basket on the dining room table to view our progress. I would highly recommend this kit to anyone with small children. It was super easy to follow the instructions, kept all of us entertained and encouraged lots of talk about gardening and growing grass and flowers in springtime. Although the product is marketed as Easter Basket grass I think we would do follow this fun craft regardless of the Easter Bunny’s impending visit.
The Easter Grass Kits by Spots and Ladybugs retail for $8.99. To find out where to buy in your neighborhood just visit the Sports and Ladybugs website retailer page here.
GIVEAWAY: Spots and Ladybugs is offering Two (2) That’s IT Mommy Readers their own Easter Grass kit. Ends 4/14/11 at noon (12 pm pst).
REQUIRED ENTRY: Answer one of these questions! What will be in your child’s Easter basket this year? or What are your family’s favorite Easter traditions? Remember if this MAIN ENTRY is not followed then no other entries will count!
Optional Bonus Entries – Each entry MUST BE in a separate comment and are worth one point unless otherwise noted.
- Subscribe to our e-newsletter (or tell us that you already do)
- Follow us on Twitter (leave us your twitter ID)
- Like us on Facebook (leave us your facebook ID)
- Like Spots and Ladybugs on Facebook
- Follow Spots and Ladybugs on Twitter
- Follow us on Networked Blogs
- Grab our Button (located in the right sidebar) and leave the link (2 extra – 2 comments #1, #2)
- Leave a comment on a non giveaway post (let us know which one)
- Feel free to enter any of our other current giveaways that interest you, but you will receive a maximum of three extra entries only, no matter how many of our other giveaways you enter (Comment #1, #2, #3)
- Tweet about this giveaway (Copy – I entered to #WIN an Easter Grass Kit from via @ThatsITMommy and @alisonzajac http://thatsitmommy.com/?p=11136. 2 winners and ends 4/12!) comeback daily and leave us the link to the tweet (1 extra)
THIS GIVEAWAY WILL RUN THROUGH MIDNIGHT ON APRIL 14, 11 at noon. WINNER WILL BE CHOSEN USING RANDOM.ORG FROM ALL VALID ENTRIES AND NOTIFIED VIA EMAIL. WINNER WILL HAVE 48 HOURS TO CONTACT US BEFORE ANOTHER WINNER IS CHOSEN. GIVEAWAY IS OPEN TO U.S. AND CANADIAN RESIDENTS ONLY (18+).
*WE DID NOT RECEIVE MONETARY COMPENSATION FOR THIS POST. WE DID RECEIVE THE KIT MENTIONED IN THIS POST IN ORDER TO FACILITATE OUR REVIEW. THIS WILL IN NO WAY SWAY OUR OPINION OF THE PRODUCTS OR SERVICE. OUR OPINIONS ARE IN OUR OWN WORDS AND YOUR OPINIONS OR THOUGHTS MAY DIFFER.
The mom owners at Spots and Ladybug have offered two lucky winners from That’s It Mommy a free Easter Grass Kit.