Summer is about to kick off in a few weeks, and everybody is planning for some hot fun as The Music Center is unveiling their Grand Park’s 2019 summer season of free outdoor activities and events offered throughout the 12-acre “park for everyone.” The free fun kicks off with returning favorites, including The Music Center’s popular Dance DTLA on Friday nights and local House music concerts during Grand Park Sunday Sessions, plus the annual Grand Park + Outfest Present PROUD Movie Night. Extended as a year-round activity in Grand Park, Lunch À La Park Yoga reTREAT finds its energy on Wednesdays and Fridays while some of L.A.’s favorite food trucks visit the Park every Tuesday–Thursday weekly. The centerpiece of Grand Park’s summer activities is Grand Park + The Music Center’s 4th of July Block Party, Los Angeles County’s tradition of celebrating the nation’s independence as one big community.
• Lunch À La Park Food Trucks Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays 11:00 a.m.–2:00 p.m. With more than 50,000 lunches sold in the park just last year, Grand Park continues its tradition of lunchtime in the park by providing downtowners and park visitors a wide variety of food trucks three days per week. Trucks are parked in two locations in the park: on Olive Court, between Grand Avenue and Hill Street, and in the Marketplace, between Broadway and Spring Street.
• Lunch À La Park Yoga reTREAT Wednesdays and Fridays 12:15 p.m.–1:00 p.m. There’s something new to look forward to at lunchtime this summer in downtown: Grand Park’s popular yoga sessions are now year-round! Led by L.A.’s best yogis in Grand Park, participants have the opportunity to relax, rejuvenate and re-energize all summer-long. Lunch À La Park Yoga reTREAT will take place on the park’s Performance Lawn, just north of Hill Street.
• The Music Center’s Dance DTLA Fridays: June 21–August 30, 2019 7:00 p.m.–11:00 p.m. A summer favorite now in its 15th year, The Music Center’s Dance DTLA is an evening of dancing the night away in iconic places and spaces downtown on Friday nights this summer from June–August, 2019. Hosted primarily in Grand Park with events occurring at The Music Center’s Walt Disney Concert Hall along with special nights on the soon-to-be-opened Music Center Plaza, Dance DTLA empowers participants to learn new dance moves from a different dance genre at each event. The Music Center will add three new dance styles this year, including Bachata, Hip-hop and Funk. Dance DTLA welcomes anyone who loves to dance and learn some new moves in the heart of Los Angeles’ civic center. The Friday night dance schedule and locations can be found at musiccenter.org/dancedtla.
• Grand Park’s Sunday Sessions Sundays: June 23, July 21, August 18 and September 22, 2019 2:00 p.m.–8:00 p.m. Returning for the seventh summer, Grand Park’s Sunday Sessions celebrates Los Angeles’ contribution to the American-originated, yet globally embraced art form of House music. Honoring L.A.’s vibrant music scene, creativity and boundary-pushing music-making, Grand Park brings the best House music artists to L.A.’s central gathering place to relive the memories, celebrate the art-makers and connect members of the community with dance and music as a centerpiece. Guests can purchase food from food trucks and cocktails (21+) from the bar and enjoy the sounds of summer in a beautiful setting right in the middle of the city. Sunday Sessions will take place on the park’s Performance Lawn, just north of Hill Street.
• Grand Park + The Music Center’s 4th of July Block Party Thursday, July 4, 2019 3:00 p.m.–9:30 p.m. Grand Park + The Music Center’s 4th of July Block Party returns as Los Angeles County’s largest free July 4th celebration. Featuring picnicking, music, dancing and a stunning firework show high above Downtown L.A., Grand Park + The Music Center’s 4th of July Block Party is the ultimate summer holiday celebration. This year, for the first-time, the event will feature a 75-ft Ferris wheel for attendees to ride (paid tickets required). The event will feature two stages with DJs and live musical performances entertaining audiences throughout the celebration. Fireworks begin at 9:00 p.m., soaring from the roof of The Music Center’s Dorothy Chandler Pavilion nearly 500 feet high, making them visible throughout Downtown and the surrounding neighborhoods. The event offers a multitude of dining options from more than 40 vendors including the return of gourmet food trucks. Grand Park + The Music Center’s 4th of July Block Party will encompass the entire park, from Grand Avenue to Spring Street, plus the surrounding streets.
• Grand Park + Outfest Present PROUD Picnic + Movie Night Saturday, September 14, 2019 5:00 p.m.–10:00 p.m. The Music Center continues its series of intimate events that invite the Los Angeles LGBTQ and ally community to celebrate and connect with each other with Grand Park + Outfest Present PROUD Picnic + Movie Night. Developed in collaboration with a coalition of partners and partner organizations to reflect the diverse interests and experiences of the LGBTQ Angeleno community, Grand Park + Outfest Presents PROUD Picnic + Movie Night has the park partnering with Outfest for the fourth year to present a picnic and screening in celebration of fresh and diverse voices in film. A showcase of short films from the Outfest Fusion Festival along with a feature full-length presentation, filmmakers and actors will introduce the films and share insight about their craft. Guests can come early to enjoy an afternoon in the park with the sights, sounds and tastes of the summer including DJs, food trucks and the park’s popular splash pad and playground. The screening will be held on Grand Park’s Performance Lawn, just north of Hill Street.