We get local with what we eat and where we shop….so why not get local with what we read? Showcasing the love of reading, writing and Los Angeles, the Grand Park Downtown Bookfest is the only book festival that highlights the creative force of our local authors, publishers, booksellers and aspiring creators. It’s all free on May 7 from noon – 5pm in downtown LA’s Grand Park.
Booklovers of all ages can explore this year’s theme: “Literary LA: Places, Spaces and Faces,” a celebration of where Angelenos connect to each other and the written word – past, present and future.
There’s plenty to do at Bookfest: hear storytelling, engage in bookmaking workshop, book-shopping (at a pop-up bookstore featuring more than 30 L.A.-based independent publishers), readings by authors of diverse backgrounds and languages, a family pavilion of performances and activities for all ages, and more.
In addition, bring family-appropriate books to donate for Grand Park’s Little Libraries and pick up a book for free. How cool is that?
The Bookfest is the culminating event in Grand Park’s Springtime Reads program, a season of free reading and writing activities, creating interesting places and ways for bookworms of all ages to indulge in their passion for the written word.
Grand Park Downtown Bookfest guests will enjoy a broad range of activities and performances for all ages, including, but not limited to:
• Hands-on bookmaking and story writing by PUBLISH and DIY typewriters with contemporary pop artist, LA Marler;
• Creation of a live gallery of Angelenos’ favorite books with Time Travel Mart/826LA;
• Thuamatropes and mask-making with Ryman Arts;
• Bilingual children’s performances, storytelling and music by The Music Center On Tour artists, The Chameleons, Geri Kearns and We Tell Stories, as well as a sing-along with Birdie’s Playhouse;
• Readings by distinguished L.A. writers in a tribute to authors the region has lost over the last year;
• Panel discussion by some of L.A.’s top book critics;
• Readings from the newest anthology of works by L.A. authors;
• A tribute to L.A.’s sci-fi literary legend, Octavia Butler;
• Readings by L.A. authors in Polish, Spanish, Russian, Farsi and Isthmus Zapotec;
• Reading of a story written onsite by novelist in under five hours, by essayist and screenwriter, Richard Rayner;
• Grand Park’s Pop-Up Bookshop featuring 30 Los Angeles-based presses, independent publishers, and self-publishing authors; and
• Skylight Books Children’s Bookshop with a focus on the best in children’s literature, hosted by one of LA’s favorite independent booksellers.
WHEN: Saturday, May 7, 2016, Noon – 5:00 p.m. WHERE: Grand Park, downtown Los Angeles, 200 N. Grand Avenue Between Grand Avenue and Hill Street Take the METRO RED or PURPLE LINE to CIVIC CENTER/GRAND PARK STATION, GOLD LINE to LITTLE TOKYO/