I recently tested out the 2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE and the entire family was sad about giving it back. It is a mid-sized hybrid which was a good vehicle for my family. As a family who is always on the go, the Hybrid was a great option for cutting the cost of gas. Plus, it’s great for the environment. A definite win/win situation for everyone. L.A. life means that everyone drives so Hybrids seem to be a good option for city living.
Do you know what makes a car a hybrid? It sounds complicated, but honestly, it’s not. To put it simply a hybrid uses two different engines. One is the “electric engine”, this engine powers the car at lower speeds. While the “gas engine” powers the vehicle at higher speeds. Hybrids aren’t always attractive but the Toyota is stylish and comfy. Plus, the driveability on this car is pretty amazing. It’s a powerful car and features great pickup, unlike some other hybrids I’ve driven.
Now let’s get into the different trim options. We test drove the 2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE. There are three trims) LE, SE, and XLE. Personally, I liked the XLE, which offers the most luxury features, starting at $31k, which is still reasonable for most car buyers.
Here’s a look at some of the Luxury Features:
- Dual zone automatic climate control with air filter, electric compressor, humidity sensor and rear-seat vents
- Integrated Backup camera with dynamic gridlines
- 7-in. TFT Multi-Information Display with customizable settings, odometer outside temperature, fuel economy and trip information, current/average fuel economy, distance to empty, average speed, hybrid system information, energy monitor, TPMS, scheduled maintenance, compass and warning messages.
- Leather-trimmed multi-stage heated front seats with seatback pockets; 8-way power-adjustable driver’s seat with power lumbar support; 8-way power-adjustable front passenger seat with lumbar support
- Rear adjustable headrests
- Leather-trimmed tilt/telescopic 3-spoke steering wheel with audio, Multi-Information Display, Bluetooth hands-free phone, voice-command, Full-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC), Conventional Cruise Control and Lane Departure Alert (LDA) controls.
- 10-in Color Head-Up Display (HUD) with customizable settings, speedometer, navigation, shift position, compass, TSS-P indicators, audio, phone, outside temperature, Hybrid System Indicator, and adjustable brightness
- Tiger Eye wood interior trim
- Auto-dimming rearview mirror with compass
- Three USB Ports (1.5V and 2.1V)
- LED Headlights with fully integrated LED DRLs with auto on/off feature
- LED taillights
- Bright metallic front grille
- 18-inch chrome machined-finish alloy wheels and P235/45R18 tires
- Single exhaust with chrome finisher
- Color-keyed heated outside mirrors with turn signal and blind spot warning indicator
- EntuneTM 3.0 Audio with Connected Navigation and App Suite — includes 7-in. touch-screen, AM/FM, MP3/WMA playback capability, 6 speakers, Connected Navigation Scout® GPS Link App with moving maps with 3-year complimentary trial, Entune 3.0 App Suite, Siri® Eyes Free, Google voice controls, auxiliary audio jack, USB 2.0 port with iPod® connectivity and control, hands-free phone capability, voice recognition and music streaming via Bluetooth wireless technology. Access to Entune App Suite is subscription free.
I drove the car for over a week and didn’t need to gas up once. Less money at the pump equals more money in my pocket and who doesn’t want that. I told you a little bit about the gas mileage savings, but let’s break that down.
- EPA Estimated Fuel Economy: 44/47/46 (city/highway/combined MPG)
Toyota themselves say, “While purchasing a Camry continues to be a smart and rational choice, the 2018 Camry now delivers the magic and excitement drivers crave.” I couldn’t agree more.
Toyotas are known for their safety and for families it is a key element. The 2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE has quite a few features that gets my motor rolling so to speak:
- StarSafetySystem-includes Enhanced Vehicle Stability Control(VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), 4- wheel Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA) and Smart Stop Technology® (SST)
- 10 Airbags – includes driver and front passenger Advanced Airbag System, driver and front passenger seat-mounted side airbags, driver and front passenger knee airbags, rear seat-mounted side airbags, and front and rear side curtain airbags
- Driver and front passenger Whiplash-Injury-Lessening (WIL) seats
- Three-point seatbelts for all seating positions, driver-side Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) and
- Automatic/Emergency Locking Retractor (ALR/ELR) on all passenger seatbelts
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) includes lower anchors on outboard rear seats
- Child-protector rear door locks and power window lockout control
- Energy-absorbing collapsible steering column
- Front and rear energy-absorbing crumple zones
- Side-impact door beams
- Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) (LE model only)
- Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) with direct pressure readout (SE and XLE models only)
- Collision sensors: deactivate high-voltage battery
- Toyota Safety SenseTM P (TSS-P) – Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist, Automatic High Beams and Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
- Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross Traffic Alert and Intelligent Clearance Sonar with Rear Cross Traffic Braking (XLE model only)
- Hill Start Assist Control (HAC)
- Anti-theft system with alarm
- Four-wheel disc brakes
- Regenerative braking
- Normal, ECO, EV, and Sport drive modes
This vehicle has good space for everyone. Sedans give me more of a driver’s car feel – a little sportier, more control, lower to the ground, grips the road. You can easily seat 5 people in the 2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE. With a whopping 98.8 cu. ft. (w/ moonroof) passenger volume and 38.0 in. in leg room space. This vehicle is great for families.
Overall the 2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE was a win! My daughter had plenty of room in the back. We had space for all of us. I felt safe AND we saved money on gas. The Brown Stone exterior color was pretty snazzy as well. It was dark and at times looked black. I like unusual car shades! An A+ for us in the Burgess household.