Rancho Mirage, California offers a great vacation option for active families who also need to relax this winter. The Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort and Spa is just two hours from Los Angeles. But don’t be surprised if the quiet, secluded location and amazing mountain vistas make you feel as though you are a world away. Whether you are flying cross country or planning a staycation, The Westin is a great option for you and your brood.
For the family on the go, the Westin Mission Hills is your spot…
* Go golfing. Listed as one of Golf Digest’s® Top 75 Golf Resorts in North America, there are two championship courses to choose from on the grounds and even more in the area. Introduce your children to golfing with Twilight Gold. The little ones play golf for free after 3 pm when playing with a paying adult, and enjoy a complimentary Callaway club rental. For more specifics, contact the Golf Pro Shop at 760.770.6790.
* Go for a walk or run. Pick up a Runner’s World Maps (Designed and certified by Runner’s World Magazine) at the lobby to lead you on 3-mile and 5-mile jogging or walking routes beginning at the hotel. And if you seeking a group run, there is even a member of the Conceirge team who leads a run every Wednesday and Friday morning at 7:30am.
* Take a dip. The Las Brisas pool features a 60-foot water slide (free for guests). The waterslide pool depth is 3 ½ feet so guests must be at least 42″ to ride the slide. Complimentary children’s activities are held daily at the pool, such as treasure dives and Hula Hoop Contests. On Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, there is a Bouncy Farm house sure to please the littlest ones.
* Break out your tennis racquets. Play a round while the kids take tennis lessons or join a special tennis clinic . It’s perfect for kids ages 6-18 years old.
* Take a ride. Rent a cool Nirve Beach Cruiser bicycle by the hour, day or week. Take a spin around the route or venture further into Rancho Mirage. The concierges can help you plot a course that fits your riding interest and abilities.
* There are also tons of indoor activities, including an extensive spa and gym facility, The Hideaway video arcade, and a kid’s lounge that looks like it jumped right out of the pages of a Pottery Barn kids catalog.
We spent two relaxing nights in a beautiful spacious room. It was a large, open space with tall ceilings and a balcony over looking a fountain and the golf course. The sitting area was perfect for planning our day’s itinerary and our next meal. And the sofas was a pull out which is perfect for the kids. The main bed in the room is a signature Heavenly Bed which was extremely comfy. The bathroom was well equipped and the double sink made morning prep faster for our family.
We also brought our furry family member, they are welcome as well (if they are 40 lbs or less that is). The patios of Fireside Lounge and Pinzmini Restaurant even invite you to dine with your dog and have a special dog menu.
Speaking of menus – for the humans that is. There are several dining options on the resort property. Pinzimini Restaurant offers Italian food in a modern, formal sit down atmosphere. Probably best for date night or a special family meal. We highly recommend the Grilled Pork Chop and Pesto Linguini with Shrimp. The food was amazing. More casual options would be the Fireside Lounge, Las Brisas Cafe or Season’s Grill. Another fun casual option is the Dilbert’s Diner – order a fish taco at the outdoor window and eat on the patio or take back to your room’s balcony space. Yum!
If you happen to be staying over a Friday or Saturday evening there is a Kids Night Out option for kids ages 4-12. Crafts, dinner and movies for kids for $30 while parents enjoy a peaceful, romantic meal for two. Hmm, maybe something to consider for our next stay.
The hotel offers nine different guestroom experiences to meet your family’s needs and budget. Traditional guestrooms are 525 square feet with a private balcony and lots of view options. Or splurge for a suite with larger living areas and huge private balconies. Prices and specifics for booking a stay can be found online at http://www.westinmissionhills.com/ or by calling 877-253-0041.
* The Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa comped our hotel room for editorial purposes.