Easter is the perfect holiday for kids to help Mom or Dad in the kitchen! Family time, egg decorating, and baking complete the Easter holiday. I decided to bake cupcakes to celebrate spring and to do a test batch for Easter. I went with a simple recipe and with the help of my daughter we created “Easter Baskets” and designed candy carrots on our cupcakes. Smart & Final is one of my favorite places to shop and I went there to pick up the items I needed for my recipe. I also like visiting new stores and I was excited to see one of their newest locations at the Midtown Crossing in Mid City, Los Angeles.
What I love the most about Smart & Final is that this warehouse store does not charge a club fee. Everyone can be a member! The prices are competitive. Plus, you can find everything you need under one roof. I usually shop Smart & Final’s First Street label for the low prices. I found just about everything I need in the bakery isle that was well stocked. This Smart & Final store is celebrating their grand opening and gave out a free reusable tote!
It was time to bake!
- Easy cupcake recipe:
- 2 cups of First Street Flour
- 2 teaspoons of First Street Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of First Street butter, softened
- 3/4 – 1 cup of First Street Sugar
- 2 First Street eggs
- 1 cup of Milk (we actually used Almond Milk 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla (optional)
- 12 oz of vanilla frosting
(or you can make your own from scratch)
- Reese’s Pieces for carrots (for carrot design)
- First Street Baking Green food coloring (for carrot and easter egg design)
- Flaked Coconut (for Easter Basket)
- Cadbury Mini Eggs (for Easter Basket)
- 1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare the cupcake pan with liners.
- 2) I really don’t get fancy. I whip the eggs, butter and sugar together. Then I dump all of the other ingredients in.
- 3) Bake for 25 minutes. I always check to make sure nothing sticks to a toothpick and that the cupcakes look golden brown.
Easter basket design
- Smooth frosting on top of cupcake
- Add green food coloring to flaked coconut, then sprinkle on top of the cupcake
- Add three cadbury eggs
- Use strips of candy strips for basket handles (optional)
- Insert 6 Reese’s Pieces vertically
- Create the carrot greens with food coloring.
Ta-da! My daughter loved decorating the cupcakes with me. They are super cute and tasty! Since Smart & Final offers larger quantities, I have enough supplies to make another batch closer to Easter. I’m thankful Smart & Final included me in their campaign! This was definitely a fun “shoppertunity”.
Stay connected with Smart & Final
- Find more recipes here: Smart and Final Social Circular: http://community.smartandfinal.com
- Smart and Final on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/SmartFinal
- Smart and Final’s Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/SmartFinal