Recently, I had the opportunity to attend an event for bloggers by the Chex Party Mix folks. It was an eye-opener, let me tell you.
Like most people, I’ve always gravitated toward the Chex Party Mix at gatherings because it’s tasty, every bite is a little different and it’s just good munching fun. But I’d never had the guts to make it myself because it seemed intimidating. All those ingredients, all that baking and stirring. It turns out I was quite wrong. At the Chex Party Mix event, we broke into groups and helped make three different holiday-themed recipes with a minimum of ingredients, IN THE MICROWAVE and within 15 minutes! It was easy and fast. I came away having learned three useful lessons that I’ve already put into practice:
1. Making a batch of Chex Party Mix, packaging it up and having it ready for all of those unexpected and last minute gifts has hugely reduced my holiday anxiety level.
2. Because it’s so easy, making Chex Party Mix is a great activity to do with the kids or even let them do by themselves while I sip a cup of coffee and watch them! They literally mixed the ingredients in a large microwavable bowl and periodically shook it around (with lid on, of course) to distribute all of the ingredients and suddenly, it was done.
3. Instead of hosting a cookie swap party, dirtying dishes and mixers, I’m going to have what I’m calling a Chex Party Mix Mixer. I’m going to suggest the three holiday-themed recipes I learned about at the blogger event (see below), ask guests to each bring a different ingredient and I’ll provide the microwavable bowls, microwave of course (no heated up kitchen, yea!) and some cute packaging bags, tags and ribbons from the dollar store.
The best part of this plan is that I’ll be marking two to-do items off of my holiday list: 1. getting together with friends and 2. preparing holiday gifts that will impress.
Here is one of the recipes from the Chex Party Mix website. Visit it for tons more, both sweet and savory. Time to party!
Mexican Hot Chocolate Chex(R) Party Mix
Prep time: 15 minutes
Start to Finish: 15 minutes
2 cups Vanilla Chex(R cereal
2 cups Chocolate Chex(R) cereal
2 cups Cinnamon Chex(R) cereal
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup flaked coconut
1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
1. In a large microwaveable bowl, measure cereal and set aside.
2. In a 2-cup microwavable measuring cup, heat butter and chocolate chips on High 1 minute or until almost melted; stir and microwave another 30 seconds or until mixture can be stirred smooth; stir in condensed milk, heat 30 seconds or until boiling; stir in cinnamon. Pour over cereal mixture, stirring until evenly coated.
3. Microwave on High about 3 minutes, stirring every minute, until mixture is glazed. Stir in coconut and marshmallows. Pour onto waxed-paper lined pan to cool.