Unlikely friends team up for high adventure in Benjamin and Bumper to the Rescue. In the tradition of Winnie-the-Pooh and Corduroy bestselling author Molly Coxe delivers a pint-sized view of a larger-than-life adventure in her new picture book Benjamin and Bumper to the Rescue ($16.95, ages 4-8). Photographs of incredibly detailed dioramas and a story full of ingenious plans, humorous situations and surprising twists make this endearing tale of Benjamin, a fuzzy mouse and Bumper, his true-blue elephant friend, an instant bedtime classic.
When Benjamin and Bumper embark on a harrowing mission to rescue Benjamin’s mother, their travels take them from the floor of a wooden wardrobe, to the heights of a lofty kitchen table, through a dangerous garden path and up-up-up a castle tower to the lair of Sir Pouncelot, the book’s foppish villain. Coxe’s uncommonly endearing felted wool characters are wonderfully alive, and her carefully gathered props of buttons, antique toys and cracked dishes are perfect for kids who delight in searching the illustrations for all of the tiny details that reveal themselves at the turn of every page.
Benjamin and Bumper to the Rescue is the debut title for new publisher BraveMouse Books. There focus is centered around their commitment to create high quality, exceptional picture books that are beloved by kids and adults alike.
BraveMouse has also put together a Make-a-Mouse kit that contains everything needed to create two mice–including fabric for clothes and a few props for these handmade mouse characters to use when performing risky rescues! You can view a video of a mouse-in-the-making here.
Make-a-Mouse Kit Ingredients (Contains the makings for two mice)
1 burlap pouch containing supplies
2 baby socks pre-stitched to create a pointy mouse nose, with felt ears glued on
8 pipe cleaners for arms, legs, and tail on two mice
6 fabric squares, in a wide range of colors
Pink embroidery thread for noses
Fishing line for whiskers
thread for sewing
2 pieces of hemp string for mouse characters to use when performing risky rescues
Not included: scissors, markers, pins for eyes, sewing needle
Although Kieran is barely 3, she really enjoyed this book. It engaged her and she would ask questions during like “Why is Sir Pouncelot’s favorite meal mouse ‘n’ mole casserole?” and “Why were they clever boys?”. Her favorite character is clearly Bumper, the elephant. I love that the presentation of the characters are more life-like than the typical illustrated books we tend to read. It’s a nice change. I love the antique decorations used in the story, too, such as a vintage can of peas. The story comes up with an interesting solution to keep Sir Pouncelot and all the mice living peacefully together. I like the message of working out a problem so that both sides can be happy—a great lesson for us all!
– That’s IT Mommy friends, Heather and Kieran
GIVEAWAY: One (1) prize pack to include Benjamin and Bumper to the Rescue book and a Make-a-Mouse kit!
MAIN ENTRY – Tell us which special person in your life you will give the book and Make-a-Mouse kit to.
(Remember if this MAIN ENTRY is not followed then no other entries will count)
Bonus Entries – Leave each extra entry in a separate comment.
- Friend BraveMouse Books on Facebook (2 extra-leave 2 separate comments, #1, #2)
- Subscribe to our RSS Feed or email (or tell us that you already do) (1 extra)
- Like us on Facebook (let us know who you are) (leave 3 separate comments, #1, #2, #3)
- Follow us on Twitter (leave us your twitter ID) (leave 3 separate comments, #1, #2, #3)
- Blog about this giveaway (leave the link) (2 extra – 2 comments #1, #2)
- Follow us on Networked Blogs (1 extra)
- Enter another one of our current giveaways. (3 extra – 3 separate comments #1, #2, #3)
- Tweet about this giveaway (Copy – I just entered to WIN a Make-a-Mouse kit and book via @ThatsITMommy http://thatsitmommy.com/?p=6476 #giveaway) – come back daily and leave us the link to the tweet (1 extra)
This giveaway will run through midnight on October 6, 2010 (PST). Winner will be chosen using Random.org from all valid entries and notified via email. Winner will have 48 hours to contact us before another winner is chosen. Giveaway is open to U.S. and Canadian residents only (18+).
* We did not receive monetary compensation for this review. That’s IT Mommy received a copy of the book mentioned in this post to facilitate this review. This will in no way sway our opinion of the product or service. The review is in our own words and is our opinion. Your results and opinions may differ.