Last month marked a special occasion in our family—Kieran turned 3! We decided to combine her two loves, princesses and Central Park. All of her friends were invited to wear their favorite princess dress to the party. In order to not exclude the boys, they were provided with pirate regalia (hats and eyepatches). To be fair, the boys did have their own pirate invite, too!
We opted to give the party favors out at the beginning of the party. First reason, the little princesses were to receive tiaras and wands, so we thought it fitting that they have them for the entire party. Second reason, since this was an outdoor party for a bunch of tots, I didn’t think the bags would remain intact and that everyone would, in fact, receive their bag if I left them on the lawn for 2 hours. I also wanted the little pirates to have their hats and eye patches. And, if the kids were hungry before the pizza arrived, there was some Pirate’s booty stashed in all the gift bags and boxes to be enjoyed!
I felt lucky that with a bunch of mainly 2-4 year olds I didn’t feel the need to plan for any games. All of the kids were happy to run around on the grass, although a couple of the kids did bring their own bubbles (always a hit!).
Since we are moving soon, we decided to have as much NYC in her party as we could. Besides having the party in Central Park, we had pizza delivered there, too. Here’s a note, they wouldn’t deliver into the park, but we had them meet my husband at 72nd and 5th for the exchange. Just in case you are in NYC and wish to do the same, we ordered from Don Filipo’s on Lexington Ave.–it was delivered right on time, hot and delicious!
Once lunch was out of the way, it was time to sing the birthday girl (I mean, princess) her customary song. I laid out all the cupcakes on the grass, and the kids quickly descended around them! Thankfully, the cupcakes remained 100% intact until after the song (and pictures) were through. We decided on cupcakes from Two Little Red Hens on 1st Avenue. My husband and I have made a pretty good circuit of the local bakeries and agree that these are the tastiest. According to the reactions of our guests, I’d have to say we were right!
The day was magical. We were even able to get almost all the kids together in one shot for a group photo (by almost, I guess I mean about half!). Kieran still talks about it—even over a month later. It was a great experience for all!
If you are throwing a Princess & Pirates party, here is a helpful list of items to get you well on your way!
Pirate Invites & Thank You’s (Meri Meri also has Pirate-themed cupcake toppers and gift bags)
Meri Meri is one of the featured vendors in this story. They are a UK-based company that has been making beautiful handmade-style stationary for over 25 years. Their products include greeting cards, invitations, partyware, gifts, photo albums and journals.
GIVEAWAY: Meri Meri is kindly offering one (1) That’s IT Mommy reader an Invitation/Thank You kit to help get your party started right! THANK YOU, Meri Meri.
MAIN REQUIRED ENTRY – Go to Meri Meri and choose from one of the currently available sets listed here:
- 45-0020 Pirate Box Set
- 45-0026 Bridal Shower Box Kit
- 45-0040 Mermaids Invite Set 8/Box
- 45-0043 Ready Set Go Invite Kit 8/Box
- 45-0045 Twinkle Toes Invite Set 8/Box
- 45-0119 Animal Parade Invite & Thank You
- 45-0135 Fairy Wishes Invite & Thank You
- 45-0139 3D Robot Invite/Thank You
- 45-0155 Teddy Bear Fun Invite/Thank You
- 45-0029 Princess Cupcake Set (Invite/Thank you not available during this giveaway period)
(Remember if this MAIN ENTRY is not followed then no other entries will count)
Optional Bonus Entries – Leave each extra entry in a separate comment.
- Visit Meri Meri and tell us another item that they sell (not offered in the giveaway)
- Follow Meri Meri on Twitter (2 extra – 2 comments #1, #2)
- Subscribe to our RSS Feed or email (or tell us that you already do) (3 extra – 3 separate comments #1, #2, #3)
- Follow us on Twitter (leave us your twitter ID) (1 extra)
- Blog about this giveaway (leave the link) (2 extra – 2 comments #1, #2)
- Follow us on Networked Blogs (1 extra)
- Enter another one of our current giveaways (3 extra – 3 separate comments #1, #2, #3)
- Leave a comment on one of our non-giveaway reviews (2 extra – 2 extra comments #1, #2)
- Tweet about this giveaway (Copy – WIN a handmade invitation/thank you set via @thatsitmommy @merimericards http://thatsitmommy.com/?p=5088 #giveaway) come back daily and leave us the link to the tweet (1 extra)
This giveaway will run through midnight on August 3, 2010 (PST) with winner being announced sometime on or before August 5, 2010 (PST). Winner will be chosen using Random.org from all valid entries and notified via email. Winner will have 48 hours to contact us before another winner is chosen. Giveaway is open to residents in the lower 48 states only (18+).
* We did not receive monetary compensation for this review. The items mentioned in the review were previously purchased by Heather. This will in no way sway our opinion of the product or service. The review is in our own words and is our opinion. Your results and opinions may differ.