As a Physical Therapist, I understand the importance of proper footwear through all stages of life. Tsukihoshi is a line of childrens’ shoes that emphasizes “A child’s foot is not just a miniature version of an adult’s foot”-So true. Their line of kids shoes are developed specifically for the health and comfort of children’s feet, wide through the toes and with a flexible sole. These aspects are important, as you don’t want to constrain a growing foot (potentially causing adverse changes in their growth).
I first heard about Tsukihosihi earlier this year. At that time they had sent us a couple pair to review. Those shoes were tested to the max! Honestly, they were probably my daughter’s favorite shoe. She never complained about the fit until they were too small. And she’s definitely one to voice her thoughts on the matter! We were recently sent the Berry/Brown Child 41 (aka Fuji) and the Black/Gray Child 01 (aka Euro) for review. Both colors are new and part of their 2011 Fall/Winter line.
I have always been a fan of the pink and brown color combo for girls. Tsukihoshi has craftfully placed the brown on the part of the shoe that will get more wear. Kieran loves that the emphasis on this shoe is the pink! She also loves that it has laces, making her feel like she is wearing more grown up shoes. But since these shoes don’t tie, she can put them on and take them off independently via the velcro closure. The body of the shoe is predominately pink and brown suede-like material, but completely machine washable!
The Tsukihoshi Child 01 has been awarded the American Podiatric Medical Association Seal of Acceptance for promoting healthy foot development. It is so important, especially in growing feet, to provide an environment for normal development. Wide toe boxes, flexible soles and adequate support are key. I love the wide strap across the top of the shoe. Even though it is made of Velcro, he has a bit more difficulty getting these off on his own because there is so much Velcro to fight against. This is a good thing, since he is barely 18 months old and most of the time I don’t want him removing his shoes!
As a mom with active kids, the most appealing feature is that all of their shoes are machine washable! But the PT side of me loves that on both styles of shoes, there is a “flex joint” on the sole. This is located where the ball of the foot is and is a slightly more flexible portion as compared to the rest of the sole. A rigid sole=BAD for growing feet.
Other stand-out features of Tsukihoshi shoes include:
- Promotes balanced landing
- Arch support
- Antibacterial insole (made with Green Tea polyphenol)
- Barefoot-like comfort
- Light & flexible
- Velcro fasteners on most styles make for easing on and off
Tsukihoshi is one of Japan’s oldest footwear companies. Combining modern and innovative design with centuries-old Japanese craftsmanship and artistry, the company takes pride in it’s shoes for babies, toddlers and youths. Each Tsukihoshi shoe is made with the child’s foot specifically in mind to help promote their healthy development and growth.
BUY IT: The Child 41 (aka Fuji) retails for $61.00. The Child 01 (aka Euro) retails for $56.00. They can be found in higher end independent children’s shoes stores across the country, Nordstrom, Nordstrom.com, and online retailers such as Endless.com, Zappos.com, Piperlime.com and Shoes.com. For a complete list of retailers, please click here. For more information please visit their Facebook page or website.
GIVEAWAY: Tsukihoshi’s PR team is kindly offering One (1) That’s IT Mommy reader a pair of shoes (winner’s choice, based on availability) – Ends 09/09/11 – US Only.
MAIN ENTRY – Tell us which pair of shoes you would like if you’re the winner! Leave a comment in the box below.
(Remember if this MAIN ENTRY is not followed then no other entries will count)
Bonus Entries – Leave each extra entry in a separate comment. Each entry is worth 1 point (unless noted).
- Like Tsukihoshi on Facebook (let us know who you are)
- Follow Tsukihoshi on Twitter (leave your twitter ID)
- Subscribe to our email newsletter (or tell us that you already do)
- Like us on Facebook (let us know who you are)
- Follow us on Twitter (leave us your twitter ID)
- Grab our button on the right sidebar and post on your website (leave the link) (3 extra – 3 comments #1, #2, #3)
- Follow us on Networked Blogs
- Follow us on GFC (sidebar)
- Enter another one of our current giveaways (3 extra – 3 separate comments #1, #2, #3) Feel free to enter any of our giveaways that interest you, but you will receive a maximum of three extra entries only, no matter how many of our other giveaways you enter
- Leave a comment on any non giveaway post and let us know you did (2 extra – 2 separate comments #1, #2)
- Tweet: I entered to win a pair of @TsukihoshiUS Kids’ shoes for Back To School via @thatsitmommy http://thatsitmommy.com/?p=14830 #giveaway (1 extra/day)
This giveaway will run through midnight on September 9, 2011 (PST). Winner will be chosen using Random.org from all valid entries and notified via email. Winner will have 24 hours to contact us before another winner is chosen. Giveaway is open to U.S. residents only (18+).
*This giveaway will run through midnight on September 9, 2011 (PST). Winner will be chosen using Random.org from all valid entries and notified via email. Winner will have 48 hours to contact us before another winner is chosen. Giveaway is open to U.S. (18+) residents only.
* We did not receive monetary compensation for this review. That’s IT Mommy received the shoes mentioned to facilitate this review. Giveaway item will be provided by sponsor. Sponsor has the right to refuse filling prize for duplicate winners from other blogs. This will in no way sway our opinion of the product or service. The review is in our own words and is our opinion. Your results and opinions may differ.