New York City is truly an original place to live, or visit. I’m a fourth generation New Yorker and I never run out of places to visit, and new things to do with my family. A true melting pot of cultures and ideas, the energy as you walk down the sidewalks is contagious. Leave your car behind – walk or use public transportation to guarantee yourself an authentically fun experience. Here is a list to inspire your Big Apple trip planning!
1. Ice skate in Central Park.
2. Eat a slice of real NYC pizza. Our favorite is Lombardi’s.
3. Buy roasted chestnuts, a hot pretzel or a hot dog from a food cart.
4. Ride in a yellow taxi.
5. Take the Staten Island ferry round trip for free, awesome views of the Statue of Liberty.
6. Visit Ellis Island.
7. See the dinosaurs at the Museum of Natural History.
8 Climb on the Alice in Wonderland statue in Central Park.
9. Rent a motorized miniature sailboat at the Central Park Boat Pond.
10. Catch a puppet show at the Swedish Cottage.
11. Book a show at the New Victory Theatre.
12. See a Broadway Show.
13. Take pictures with the New York Public Library lions & see the real Winnie the Pooh.
14. Slide down the stone slide at Central Park playground north of the Zoo.
15. Watch a street performer. Tip them well.
16. Pick up a cupcake at Sprinkles. They even have a cupcake ATM.
17. Shop for sugar at Dylan’s Candy Bar.
18. Buy a book at The Strand. Miles of books to see and shop.
19. Visit the Farmer’s Market in Union Square.
20. Check out the Bull and Fearless Girl statue on Wall Street.
21. Take a foodie tour.
22. Sign up for a family cooking class at the Institute of Culinary Education.
23. Visit the suits of armor collection at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
24. Ride the subway.
25. Visit another borough – you’ve got Staten Island, Queens, Brooklyn or the Bronx.
26. See the ceiling light show at Grand Central Terminal.
27. Walk the Skyline.
28. Nosh at the endless food vendors at Chelsea Marketplace.
29. Make a quick stop at Times Square.
30. See the statues at Rockefeller Square & peek in on the Today Show windows.
31. Climb up the stairs inside the Statue of Liberty.
32. Take a boat ride around Manhattan Island.
33. Visit the zoo – big one in the Bronx, or small one in Central Park.
34. Tea at The Plaza Hotel.
35. Eat a bagel. Our favorite is Essa Bagel.
36. Get tickets for the Tenement Museum. Advanced planning is necessary.
37. Do dim sum in Chinatown.
38. Hit a festival in Little Italy.
39. Light a candle in the Saint Patrick’s Cathedral.
40. Visit the Cathedral Church of Saint John the Divine. Kid activities, and they even host medieval birthday parties for kids!
41. Brooklyn Botantical Gardens.
42. Get a Nathans hot dog on the Boardwalk on Coney Island, and ride the Cyclone – a real wooden roller coaster.
43. Catch a baseball game at the Coney Island minor league stadium.
44. Watch the local roller skater disco party in Central Park on weekends.
45. Visit modern art at the MOMA.
46. Take a ride on the Sea Glass Carousel.
47. Eat a cannoli in Little Italy.
48. Hit golf balls into the East River at Chelsea Piers.
49. Visit MoMath – The National Museum of Mathematics.
50. Travel back in time at the City of New York Museum. Awesome photography collection of everyday NYers, and their neighborhoods.
51. Stop by the Sony Wonder Lab.
52. Check out the views from the Empire State Building.
53. Order an amazingly rich hot chocolate at Jacques Torres Chocolate Shop.
54. Rent a Citibike, and ride inside Central Park on the bike paths.
55. Have lunch at the Stardust Diner near Times Square as your waitstaff belts out show tunes.
56. Stop by Tiffany’s to window shop for some new diamonds.
57. Take a tour of the United Nations.
58. Go see the Intrepid Aircraft Carrier and the Space Shuttle on deck.
59. Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.
60. Visit the most fashionable museum in NYC at The Museum at FIT (Fashion Institute of NY).